Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:26 pm 
Old School Hero

Make sure you have data on your plan as the Nav4all will work over GPRS, and as such could get expensive. The W810 was a good phone back in the day but it lacks the processing power you'll need.

Your best option would be getting a handset like the Samsung Galaxy Y or HTC Desire C, both or which have GPS and will let you run apps like Strava and Runkeeper.

If you have any handset questions, just ask...after 12 years in the bike trade I got a job for a local mobile provider and now have 6 years of handset knowledge to offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:28 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

hmm, my post didn't get added.

stewlewis wrote:

You've shown a link for sport tracker for Symbian and two PDA's that are running Windows mobile or CE, which clearly aren't compatible.

Like I said you need a device running Symbian, Windows, iOS or Android.

If you can find someone who has written a sport tracker app for CE or WinMo you might as well by an old HTC Titan or such like as they are less than £50 and have built in GPS, then there is something like the Nokia 5800 that's also less than £50 and that will work with the sport tracker app you posted.

I had a WinMo device (An Orange SPV C550, followed by an E650) and SIRFstar bluetooth GPS running Tomtom back in 2005. I had to hack tomtom onto the device because of dodgy comport and screen configs of the SPV's, but the OP wanted a sport tracker and I would suspect that unless the old version of Endomundo works with those old versions of CE it wont work.

This Nokia 5800 is only £36.50 [url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nokia-XpressMusic-5800-Chrome-Edition-Smartphone-TMobile-/360508594297?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item53effc9879[url] and works with Endomundo (wife used it on hers) and also probably that sport tracker too.

Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:29 pm 

You've shown a link for sport tracker for Symbian and two PDA's that are running Windows mobile or CE, which clearly aren't compatible.

Like I said you need a device running Symbian, Windows, iOS or Android.

If you can find someone who has written a sport tracker app for CE or WinMo you might as well by an old HTC Titan or such like as they are less than £50 and have built in GPS, then there is something like the Nokia 5800 that's also less than £50 and that will work with the sport tracker app you posted.

I had a WinMo device (An Orange SPV C550, followed by an E650) and SIRFstar bluetooth GPS running Tomtom back in 2005. I had to hack tomtom onto the device because of dodgy comport and screen configs of the SPV's, but the OP wanted a sport tracker and I would suspect that unless the old version of Endomundo works with those old versions of CE it wont work.

This Nokia 5800 is only £36.50 [url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nokia-XpressMusic-5800-Chrome-Edition-Smartphone-TMobile-/360508594297?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item53effc9879[url] and works with Endomundo (wife used it on hers) and also probably that sport tracker too.

Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:29 pm 

Arrgh, what's going on, my post isn't being added!

Carl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:29 am 
Retro Guru

However it wont cost the earth, something like this http://www.trustedreviews.com/huawei-ascend-g300_Mobile-Phone_review is less than £100 on PAYG and will happily run route tracking software.

Carl.[/quote]

Very handy indeed. Was going to buy a HTC Desire C in the morning but now hmm the above sounds the better phone but I like the HTC's feel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:43 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Splatter Paint wrote:
So if I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holux-Bluetoo ... 3a7bbaf0d8

I should be in business?

SP

One of those and Nokia Sport Tracker is what I used to use.
It won't upload live as that would use a data plan but it's work as a GPS cycle computer and log your ride for uploading what you get home.

You'd export the .GPX file from the phone to the PC and upload to SportTracks/Strava etc.

A round about way of doing things but if you can pick up a cheap GPS device then it might be worth a go. You can always use the GPS bluetoothed to a laptop too if you ever desire.