Were you put off a subject by an uninspiring teacher?

Retro Cat

Senior Retro Guru
Were you put off a subject at school by an uninspiring teacher and do you think it's effected your life chances? My French teacher just gave out worksheets and exercises from out of date textbooks. So my knowledge of French was limited to the comings and goings in La Rochelle (it seemed to be the cultural epicentre of France).

French also

I was very fluent in the early years of my subjects with a yeacher called mr dunkley, (that was his name honest) then he moved into another area within the school to be replaced by ms goodey, and she was far from it

As a result a third of her class at the end of that year transffered to other subjects, I ended up taking economics instead but missed the french

PE. But not so much the teachers fault but the curriculum.
They did all boring crap like Football and Rugby, not me. Even the running around a track is pointless, never bothered to try.
Never did they do cycling of any sorts or other more interesting sports. So always trying to skip it. Skipped many a sports day, what is the point in that.

Funniest bit was when they did some real sports. We all went to some bridleways and wooded area with slopes in it.
I set off in the slow group, and caught up to the leader at the end. He was our 'Cross Country' champion :LOL:
(I did competitive Orienteering out of school, and Bridleways are easy in comparison, but at least interesting compared to a track.)

French was good, we eat Patisserie's all the time, well at least that the bit I remember.

Did it effect my life chances, who knows and nothing to dwell on. You go with what you've got.
Except,
I did however do Further Maths, though we had no teacher most of the time and giving us a book no matter how interesting maths might have been wasn't the way to teach 17/18yr olds who are at that point more interested in a social life.

The biggest failings are not pushing the bright and letting them drift through GCSE's because they'll pass anyway with A anyway.

Ahh! La Rochelle! Wasn't that place the focus of those "Tricolor" french books? I always wondered why the hell everything was based around that place, I wanted to know about Paric, Nice etc and all I ever learned about was bloody La Rochelle :roll:

Anyway... English, I loved English until we got a new teacher called Mrs Wang (Iknow, I know :D), but she did not share my own unique style of humour and really put me off doing anything creative in English class. Thankfully I only had her as a teacher for one year.

jimo746":3on29vkw said:
Anyway... English, I loved English until we got a new teacher called Mrs Wang (Iknow, I know :D), but she did not share my own unique style of humour and really put me off doing anything creative in English class. Thankfully I only had her as a teacher for one year.

Reminded me of...............

Senor Chang: Every once in a while, a student will come up to me and ask, "Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?"
[chuckles]

Senor Chang: They say it just like that. "Why do *you* teach Spanish?"
[grin drops]

Senor Chang: "Why you? Why not math? Why not photography? Why not martial arts?" I mean, surely, it must be in my nature to instruct you in something that's ancient and secret, like, oh, building a wall that you can see from outer space! Well, I'll tell you why I teach Spanish. It is none of your business, okay? I don't wanna have any conversations about what a mysterious, inscrutable man I am. Oh hee hee hee hee hee hee! Oh hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo! *I am a Spanish Genius!* In español, my nickname is *El Tigre Chino*!
[pretends to bite Shirley's neck]

Senor Chang: 'Cause my knowledge will bite her face off! So don't question Señor Chang or you'll get bit. Yah bit! Yah bit!

Señor Chang: I am a Spanish Genius! In español, my nickname is El Tigre Chino! 'Cause my knowledge will bite her face off!

I certainly had some teachers that I did not get on well with but I can't say I ever had a teacher who was blatantly incompetent, and my secondary school was a bit rough and the teachers all had to deal with roudy classes.

I love English, but that was more to do with the hot teacher wearing stockings and suspender belts that you could see through her skirt!

I had one young green science teacher Miss Champion who I (politely) explained to in front of the whole class a much simpler method of calculating moles. Apparantly I was incredibly arrogant to do this, I was definitely arrogant when I waived the my sccience double A* in her face on results day!

Teachers have so much on their plate these days with curriculum changes, paperwork, targets etc. that it's virtually impossible for them to be inspirational when faced with a bunch of kids so in thrall of celebrity culture, X-Factor etc., that they expect to excel without having to put the work in.

+1 for sports. Only discovered I liked them when in the sixth form and cross-country running as an option. And when we went on a cycling holiday in 4th form to Lincolnshire - we rode there - I had a Raleigh Olympus 5-gear at the time.....

We used to end up playing rugby most of the time and we had one kid in the year who could beat all of us at once - as he played for South Yorkshire and was massive for his age. Pointless exercise really.....

Physics - our teacher was never there. Failed it the first time and had to retake it in November when I got a B.

Latest posts

Back