Not just for Scotchlanders

al

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Never underestimate the awesome powers of porridge.

al.

al":3iym4gpq said:
Never underestimate the awesome powers of porridge.

al.

Good call, especially now the mornings are that bit chillier and something warmer and more substantial than a bowl of Shreddies is needed before riding to work*. :)

David

*I'm assuming the porridge in question is the oaty sort, not the kind with Ronnie Barker in it. ;)

I'm having some for lunch.... Awesome!

al. :D

I've also made extra so the dogs can have some for their tea.

al.

The correct way to take porridge is with a wee dram.

At least that's what my grandfather used to tell me :shock:

NeilM":1wd7n1jb said:
The correct way to take porridge is with a wee dram.

At least that's what my grandfather used to tell me :shock:

My Dad (like me, a Midlander, but he did 4 years at the University of Dundee) assures me that a true Scots connoisseur of porridge would frown upon they way some of us (me included) living south of Carlisle make it - milk and any sweet stuff such as dried fruit or sugar are a no-no; the traditional way is just oats, water and a pinch of salt.

Having said that, recently I've found that milky porridge with fruit, along with a pot of not-too-strong coffee, a grapefruit and scrambled eggs on toast, makes a great race day breakfast - sustaining without being stodgy.

David

You dad is right David; that is the way my grandmother and my father used to make porridge, after soaking the oats too, none of your out of the packet into the microwave nonsense, which is the way my son and I make it. :oops:

My ex used to say give me some of your porridge baby...I never knew she liked breakfast so often

al":1h0hjl3a said:
I've also made extra so the dogs can have some for their tea.

al.

Sounds like the whole idea has turned into a right dog's dinner, Al.

I can't apologise enough for that one. :oops:

David

Back