Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:40 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:19 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:53 pm
Posts: 2981
Location: Super Sussex by the Sea
Out

We put in more money than we get out, not really good business in a recession. Also trade links will exist whether we are in or out, we are too big a market to ignore.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 2186
Location: Shrewsbury
Nobody in this country under the age of 55 has had a say on whether we should be the EU so its way beyond time for a referendum.

I'd vote OUT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:41 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Somerset
The EU was largely setup to avoid wars which has been rather successful and we would all do well to remember this.

I think in honesty we'd be better off on our own, but in the same fashion that labour reduced crime rates by making those who are the worst off, better off, so that they didn't need to be criminals, the same can be
said on a global scale.

When you really think about the poverty and suffering of our fellow humans we should be ashamed of our lifestyles, how many bikes do you have? How much stuff have you got that it utter crap? Do you ever think about the people that sewed your £2 primark T-shirt together that almost certainly don't even have clean water?

Do you really think we should stand on our own and f*** the rest of the people in the world?

Have you seen the southpark episode where Cartman & Butters join the Somali pirates, the immense irony is unforgettable?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:53 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:08 am
Posts: 847
Location: French Alps/Annecy
gtRTSdh wrote:
The EU was largely setup to avoid wars which has been rather successful and we would all do well to remember this.

I think in honesty we'd be better off on our own, but in the same fashion that labour reduced crime rates by making those who are the worst off, better off, so that they didn't need to be criminals, the same can be
said on a global scale.

When you really think about the poverty and suffering of our fellow humans we should be ashamed of our lifestyles, how many bikes do you have? How much stuff have you got that it utter crap? Do you ever think about the people that sewed your £2 primark T-shirt together that almost certainly don't even have clean water?

Do you really think we should stand on our own and f*** the rest of the people in the world?

Have you seen the southpark episode where Cartman & Butters join the Somali pirates, the immense irony is unforgettable?


Well said.

Sorry gents but most of you are living in the past, do you really think you'd be better off out of the EU ? The import duty alone on european produce such as wine, food and cars would hike prices so much that they would be uncompetitive in the uk. not to mention all the electricity (around 35%) that would cpunt as an economic import which would push up your bills.
There is nothing left of the manufacturing base that the uk had in the 70s and to think that a small island that is self sufficient in nothing could go it alone is quaint and outmoded yes we had a great empire once but that was solely on the back of invading others countries and using their natural resources.
All this quite frankly bollocks about how much we put in and how little we get out, weigh what gets put in against what the country would have to pay in import duties if the borders were raised again.

Sorry but it's typical little britain/daily mail/sun reader/golf club thinking. What this get out of europe sentiment is really about is immigration but no one would ever dare say it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:53 pm
Posts: 2981
Location: Super Sussex by the Sea
B77 wrote:

Sorry but it's typical little britain/daily mail/sun reader/golf club thinking. What this get out of europe sentiment is really about is immigration but no one would ever dare say it.


No, I don't like the idea of countries like Greece, who lied to get into the Euro, getting billions of our hard earned cash to stay afloat when it was their fault in the flipping first place! Nothing to do with immigration! We're in a shit enough state as it is before we go propping up doomed economies we get nothing back from. Perhaps you should stop reading The Guardian.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:38 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:22 pm
Posts: 5946
Location: busy forgetting how to edge flip on a 11x11 monster cube///...
cyprus is now requesting 10 billion for help too...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:46 pm 
eBay Outing Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:53 pm
Posts: 8000
B77 wrote:
Sorry but it's typical little britain/daily mail/sun reader/golf club thinking. What this get out of europe sentiment is really about is immigration but no one would ever dare say it.


Don't be sorry if that's what you genuinely mean.

I rarely am such as when I point out we should go back to independent states trading within a commercial europe then someone from another country states your all daily mail readers...I would simply say..no..your all afraid if Britian pulls out that those other countries like yours will have to find the shortfall and that is what frightens so many in the united states of europe

It was a boys club of the wealthy within europe but they got greedy and a comparison if you will..in trying to be a united states of europe they let the scallies in so on a map we look good. Financial ruin is coming..and let's be honest it's not just greece... France is in the kak just as bad but better at bluffing

Now if a major contributor pulls out..no matter the amount of levy charges you think will be introduced ..it will never be enough to cover the shortfall

as to avoiding wars..well again lets be honest..not taking part is not avoiding and not taking part many of those who take from the euro fund is what they have done

Britian will experience some change when we pull out of the eu and return to countries with borders and passport control but like all change when done right ..after the settling down we will adapt putting our own country first

This is not anti europe..this is a club where the fees are too high, the riff raff have joined and we are often bullied into doing things we never wanted so now is time to thank the club but say on a national level..time to stop paying the membership and set up our own gym

as to the scare tactics of import duties on wine..perleeeze

given Britian is the largest importers of wine in europe I doubt the europhiles could afford to price out such a lucrative market as the u.k.

the continual..you will be sorry brigade have their own agenda and it is simply this

If Britian pulls out of the eu..those in the e.u. will have to find the difference and despite all their pomp and ceremony..none of them..even germany..could afford it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:41 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:58 pm
Posts: 2363
Location: Bournemouth
Having worked in import and export for 11 years, you lot haven't a clue how screwed we'd be if we were independent. It's not just the duty, the VAT and the increased costs to import for customs declarations etc. A lot of stuff is imported into 1 member state as the costs are favourable there, then transported to UK to save us costs as the end consumer.

The amount we pay into the EU is pennies in the grand scheme of things, we get a lot out of it too remember. There are EU grants for regeneration, which we do get, but don't make a song and dance out of it. We the people can also be economic migrants, something I recently made use of, working in Spain. It's not just a one way street of people coming in. In fact, the British worker probably gets the better deal, as we are paid well here, and trained well, so command better wages abroad too. Those coming in are generally on the lower paid scale of things, because people here think the jobs are beneath them.

The press do a great job of poo pooing the EU, not just the Daily Mail, but then it's in their interests to do so. Don't just buy what they tell you, look into it yourselves


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm
Posts: 2786
Pyro Tim wrote:
Having worked in import and export for 11 years, you lot haven't a clue how screwed we'd be if we were independent. It's not just the duty, the VAT and the increased costs to import for customs declarations etc. A lot of stuff is imported into 1 member state as the costs are favourable there, then transported to UK to save us costs as the end consumer.

The amount we pay into the EU is pennies in the grand scheme of things, we get a lot out of it too remember. There are EU grants for regeneration, which we do get, but don't make a song and dance out of it. We the people can also be economic migrants, something I recently made use of, working in Spain. It's not just a one way street of people coming in. In fact, the British worker probably gets the better deal, as we are paid well here, and trained well, so command better wages abroad too. Those coming in are generally on the lower paid scale of things, because people here think the jobs are beneath them.

The press do a great job of poo pooing the EU, not just the Daily Mail, but then it's in their interests to do so. Don't just buy what they tell you, look into it yourselves



Something rarer on RB than an NOS Adroit with Pauls mechs and NOS Smoke/Darts... an informed, educated argument!

Well done!


G


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:28 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:11 pm
Posts: 8479
Location: Fircombe.
rosstheboss wrote:
B77 wrote:

Sorry but it's typical little britain/daily mail/sun reader/golf club thinking. What this get out of europe sentiment is really about is immigration but no one would ever dare say it.


No, I don't like the idea of countries like Greece, who lied to get into the Euro, getting billions of our hard earned cash to stay afloat when it was their fault in the flipping first place! Nothing to do with immigration! We're in a shit enough state as it is before we go propping up doomed economies we get nothing back from. Perhaps you should stop reading The Guardian.


Perhaps you should start... :P


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unkleGsif and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group