does the value of a road frame/bike change because . . .

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
. . . of the recent doping silliness?

disclaimer:- please don't turn this into a 'did he-didn't he' thread about doping, that's not what i am asking about.

the reason i ask is because there is a chap selling a motorola team frame at the moment in the road section (very nice frame, my size and good price, but no funds!) and i was wondering, is the recent doping stuff affecting the value of a frame like this.

previously i would have said that a big name rider or a big pro team would have helped retain the value in a particular frame but would that drop in reputation of the rider or team then affect the value of the machine?

any thoughts?

I can give a honest answer ...... YES

I put my stunning condition Trek 5200 US postal bike for sale about 6 weeks ago up for £800 , I was greedy and turned offers down of £750 and had 20 odd offers around £700. Being still quite attached to it and moving house I pulled the advert.

Put it back on just when the scandal went hot and hardly a sniff .... Sold it today for £600 , been hard work to sell too.

Bet sale was the Postal helmet I had , the buyer brought it for a Halloween party he was going as a zombie Armstrong :shock: :LOL:

I don't think it has..some opportunists will put in lowball offers thinking the reputation is damaged so sellers should accept less but no not really

In this facebook generation memories over 3 months are seen as retro

i thought so, but adding to the question,

does it depend on the brand/team? and the age of that team?

so, bearing in mind the time period of of say 15 years where doping was apparently rife in the pro peloton would say an eddy merckx Motorola frame not hold it's value better then a say an eddy merckx Gan frame on the basis that for example armstrong road for motorola and Lemond road for Gan

NO

My opinion is NO
In as much as it may well have affected the Postal Trek in a slight way, though it was more than likely just the usual 'sells one week and not the next' 'right buyers, right time' type thing. The Postal Trek is also intrinsically linked to Lance Armstrong.
The Merckx is a Motorala and while Armstrong may have rode for Motorola, he is certainly not a rider I automatically even think of when I look at that frame, or think of that team. Most people I know would be the same. So most wouldn't associate the two too closely and people are more likely to buy it because its a Merckx first and it has a iconic team paintjob. Its a lovely frame the one for sale just now.
I really used to, and still do I suppose like the Postal OCLV from around 2000?, a freind back in Sydney had one that came out for our Sunday chaingang and I used to really like the look of it with the naked carbon :cool:
But then again I used to store my wifes EPO in my fridge at work and home :shock:
IMG_2738.jpg

Please excuse the milk in the bottom of the drugs fridge :roll:

Jamie

your wife's EPO? i wonder if lance used that excuse! :LOL:

i do think the value of trek/radioshack/us postal would particularly suffer but i think that the earlier stuff like the merckx frames people just accept that it was a fair play ground because everyone (it seems) was at it and also people just sort of overlook it.

i'm not saying i wouldn't buy a merckx because the riders/team may have been dopers but i certainly wouldn't buy a trek at the moment, but being honest i don't like the brand anyway.

I'm sure they won't have taken as much of a hit in value as the bikes sold recently at the auction of the estate of Jimmy Saville.

jonnyboy666":19q1789m said:
i thought so, but adding to the question,

does it depend on the brand/team? and the age of that team?

so, bearing in mind the time period of of say 15 years where doping was apparently rife in the pro peloton would say an eddy merckx Motorola frame not hold it's value better then a say an eddy merckx Gan frame on the basis that for example armstrong road for motorola and Lemond road for Gan

I doubt people are going to be that fickle in the long term, A nice Merckx of that era is still going to be a nice bike. I am guessing some Trek stuff is going to be subject to price fluctuation right now but I think longer term, people will buy what they want to buy and if a 'Postal Trek' is their idea of a great bike that is what they will go for. (I also know someone that is quite into collecting jerseys from 'scandal' teams or riders so theres always that angle I guess).

Right now, I think generally things aren't selling that well and people want money - so I don't think its wholly peculiar to a controversy, or will be over time.

Back