Problems with people not sending stuff thats been paid for

sylus

Old School Grand Master
There seems to be a spate of this at the momment and when you look it tends to be people who have joined this year and I suspect it will happen a bit more in the lead up to chrimbo. They seem to have heavy inputs for a couple of weeks to build the trust up then go walkabout

I know the site has guidelines on how to pay and given we are largely a trusting community, we seem to forget them

For me ..unless I am within striking distance :LOL: ..then from this point forward if I want stuff and you have been here less than 12 months then I will be happy to pay by paypal but not by gift

personally I don't think anyone with less than 12 months membership should be paid by gift

rant over :oops:

I suggest a minimum post count to make posts in the classified sections. On my KTM forum it's 10. With the number of scousers that have discovered that they can break the old bikes they (allegedly) own and triple their profits in here with none of the checks and balances ebay has on our forum, I would make that an even higher number (say 20). Ultimately iy's up to John, but it's something I think he should consider.

And I've said it before in the spate of threads on this subject recently. There's 140,000+ people on krmtalk.com. There is an underlying "understanding" in the classifieds forum that if you try to pull a fast one on another member, someone does live close enough to you to pop round and knock on your door to politely ask if perhaps you're having a problem with the refund link on your PayPal account, and the volunteers are usually big enough to not have to worry about the size of the person on the other side. American style check and balance, yes, but it DOES work.

Re: Rules

Jamiedyer":6dxw2sze said:
Rules suggest that nobody should pay by gift ;)

Jamie

It should be banned as a payment method, it isn't like it stops you paying via paypal "goods". That way, no matter what is sold, the recipient if unhappy for whatever (valid) reason, will be able to follow this up with paypal.

Recent feedback on a member is enough for me. Recorded delivery on expensive stuff either way.

What doesn't help is people not leaving feedback or having a page to begin with, they may have bought and sold lots of stuff but have no page,

I set up 2 pages recently for nice members who bought stuff off me.

Perhaps a reminder on how to do and view would help ;)

( i think lean times are testing some peoples morels sadly :cry: )

FMJ":38730f77 said:
I suggest a minimum post count to make posts in the classified sections.

It's certainly been given thought although I'd suggest that someone intent on scamming (as opposed to be a bit crap) would get round a minimum post count easily enough within half an hour (or the minimum post count would be so high as to dissuade genuine sellers with few posts).

Crantinope":38730f77 said:
Jamiedyer":38730f77 said:

Jamie

It should be banned as a payment method, it isn't like it stops you paying via paypal "goods". That way, no matter what is sold, the recipient if unhappy for whatever (valid) reason, will be able to follow this up with paypal.

Paypal is a third party site so not sure how a particular type of transfer can be 'banned'.

We can only recommend and the responsibility for type of payment lies with the buyer - if the seller will only accept a Paypal Gift then there are three choices for the buyer 1) pay the fees themselves; 2) pay as a Gift and take the risk; 3) walk away. Which option the buyer chooses is up to them but the guidance from the site is clear about not using Gift payments.

Bottom line is that you can use Paypal (as a gift or not), bank transfer, cheque, Western Union or just stick some cash in an envelope and hope for the best. I know how I prefer to pay, and not only because I managed to get myself a real steal of a deal on 1,000 lightly used manilla envelopes.

Most time on here I've been asked to pay by paypal gift and on low cost items that's fine with me. I have yet to have problems on here, I've always received my stuff and I've always sent stuff within a couple of days, and I hope people are satisfied.

Maybe nothing should be paid by gift but I do have a trusting nature and I value that, is that naive of me.

Alison

Some things I've paid for by gift, more expensive ones, I've paid the fees. I haven't got a feedback thread, but bought a fair bit on here.

I do have one of my bikes for sale, and figured feedback was more for selling than buying.

On the plus side, I have been on a couple of rides, and a long standing member with good feedback lives round the corner :LOL:

I think members should check theyre paypal rating :?
when i started selling off all my bike stuff in 2008 i hit the paypal/anti money laundering ruling so had to fill in details up the account to business standing etc
Now as far as im aware payments sent as personal but not gift dont incur fees if like me you have a business account. :?

ededwards":l6v49u06 said:
Crantinope":l6v49u06 said:
Jamiedyer":l6v49u06 said:

Jamie

Paypal is a third party site so not sure how a particular type of transfer can be 'banned'.

I don't mean ban paypal, I mean ban the gift method. If you stop people demanding gift, they can then alter their price to include fees that will be charged. I know it takes a little longer, but in my thread, I have both gift & goods prices listed for buyers, and to be honest, I have had about half and half by way of payments.

Back