ebay: post to different address query?

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
sold my evo2 frame on ebay. the guy only has 1 feedback.

i send the invoice, he says can he pay a day or so later as that's when he gets paid, not ideal but no probs as it's only a day or so.

then get a message saying can i post it to his work address once paid for.

not really happy about that so i check the 'work' address and then check the 'home' address and they are only 10 miles apart so it sounds ok from that point of view.

but my question is, if i post it to a different address from his listed ebay/paypal address am i covered by paypal if it goes missing?

my logic tells me that it would be covered by the courier anyway but i want to be sure as it's ringing a couple of 'dodgy' bells

oh and i've sent a polite message asking him about this.

As long as the messages are through ebay then should there be a problem ebay can see the messages. Personally I'd add some kind of signed for confirmation delivery also.

If your really worried then you could phone the firm to confirm the chap works there..just say you wanted to confirm it before you send

to be fair, his messages have been fine and he has replied to my message saying it's just because it's easier for him as it's likely it'll be delivered on a weekday and he can't say for sure someone will be in.

i was gonna use a signed for courier anyway.

you just can't help be paranoid with people these days.

FMJ":1iw6s10n said:
You can verify a second (eg: work) address through PayPal.

Yup. It's easy enough if your account is verified to add an address, so he can add his work address and specify that address for delivery when he pays.

Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

Paypal will suspend the payment quick enough if he says he hasn't received it, and even if you have proof it was signed for at his work that won't wash with them if it is not the paypal verified address. And the couriers will only say it was signed for! too easy to be taken for a mug IMHO.
The guy is probably straight up. Most folk are, but it only takes one git and you are down a stack of cash! Leave them no loopholes. ;)

I've been through this before - it's very easy for him to add a second address to his paypal account, and specify that one when he pays, that way you're covered. Just because his messages sound honest and legit, doesn't mean he is...

Once I had someone pay through paypal, then ask me to send the item to a different address. I told them that if they wanted it sent to another address then I'd refund the money, they could add the second address, then pay again. That's what happened, and we were both happy with the outcome.

Let him know that if you send it to a different address than the one he specifies with paypal, then neither of you is covered.

just keep the email of which address he requested, if paypall question it later youve got it coverd

well i decided to post it to him at the alternate address, he got the frame today and it was all ok, feedback received etc.

his answer to my questions regarding possible dodgyness was enough to make me think it would be fine but he understood why i asked.

:)

My son has stuff delivered to work all the time, mainly because that's where he is during the day.

On the other hand, my daughter has stuff delivered to my house a lot, but this is because her local Post Office keep losing undelivered parcels. It took three months for her to recover one from them, and a couple of others have disappeared without trace.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Always get my stuff delivered to my work, somebody is always there and saves the trip to Parcel Force to get abused by an overworked and underpaid sociopath.

Back