Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:38 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:29 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Thinking of how much time i spend on the net, and most of it is work emails /buying/selling/bills.

How easy is it to carry on with my lifestyle and not use the net..........ie use a phone, but a land line as getting rid of the mobile would be in the pot too.

I'm remebering 'not that long ago' when life seemed simpler and my brain wasn't always thinking ' oh i've got to do this/that'.

So is is possible ? ......

and still pay bills, contact people (and hear a real voice !!!) etc and feel like free time is actually FREE time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:31 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Give it a go.

al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:34 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Just try using the Internet for those things that it does so much quicker (like paying bills - saves walking to the bank) rather than recreational twaddle. Best of both worlds that way.

To answer your question though - yes. Of course you can live without it. :) (And I say that as a software engineer and web developer).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:03 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

We were without it for a few weeks when we moved into this house. To be perfectly honest I didn't really miss it that much at that time.

I'm a little more reliant on it now so would probably struggle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:06 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

yes. Like most modern (90%) things it's hyper shit. Didn't need in the first place. But told we do by the ad men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:09 pm 
Retro Guru

Of course you can.
I did, it was easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:24 pm 
Old School Grand Master

it's like my new phone......i was happy with a basic phone with was about £10 a month pay as you go........but i got a smart phone as it was only £5 a month..........but it's got a thousand things on it i don't need and is a pain to use, and, other messages come up saying sign for this and sign for that !

Just another cheap con to get you interested in more 'stuff'.

I would miss this site, but would I ???? unless i want to buy or sell something, i could just be happy with what i've got ' ride the damn thing' i could get someone to post or phone me actual ride dates and turn up and ride a real bike etc etc.......

I like the idea of talking to people istead of emailing them too. I volunteer with 3 places, so i'm sure they would be ok with just phone contact.

But i really am concerned that i am even asking this question, as i had such resolve a while back i could give most things up very very easily............technology is becomming such a distraction...........walking past countless people with their heads bowed to the phone texting etc..........i might try it for a week and see if i can do it for longer :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:12 pm 
Retro Guru

greenstiles wrote:
technology is becomming such a distraction...........walking past countless people with their heads bowed to the phone texting etc..........i might try it for a week and see if i can do it for longer :?:

:lol: I've sat with 'friends' in the pub, having a pint, only they don't talk because they're wrapped up in Facebook or Email on their mobiles. The irony of a social network is its making everyone anti social!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:03 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Robbied196 wrote:
greenstiles wrote:
technology is becomming such a distraction...........walking past countless people with their heads bowed to the phone texting etc..........i might try it for a week and see if i can do it for longer :?:

:lol: I've sat with 'friends' in the pub, having a pint, only they don't talk because they're wrapped up in Facebook or Email on their mobiles. The irony of a social network is its making everyone anti social!

Realised this the other day when driving into a works site, noticed eight people at a smoke shelter, all with heads burried in thier mobile devices, none of them talking, passed ten minutes later, they were still there, and still the same :roll:

I'm old school, have an old mobile, use it for calls if i really have to, hate TXTing.

On the subject of selling i have a pile of old car mags from the 70's, laugh when looking at the classifieds, adds with a name address and postcode printed, no phone number, interested in the car ?, write them a letter or go to the house and chap the door (and find them not in), must have taken ages to do a deal :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:27 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I gave it up years ago.

(To be posted on Retrobike. Collect the laundry in the morning, and have my guns cleaned. I have entered you for butler of the year Stanley, you may not have felt much, you were asleep.)