A Mac problem

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
My 2 yr old iMac doesn't like being unplugged. Last night I had to un-plug it. 30 mins later i plugged it in. And pushed the on button. Every thing went well then the screen shows a picture and telling me to restart. So followed the instructions from the Mac web site. And pushed the internal on/off button. Doing that worked last time. But so far not this time. But why does my computer not like being un-plugged for long periods?

Possibly the internal backup battery is dead? 50p watch type battery used to keep the internal clock and settings going when the powers off. Perhaps if this has gone it needs to boot, configure, then reboot.

Its just a guess based on a mix of PC & mac experience.

The internal battery shouldnt affect the turning off of the imac the battery is used to keep bios information saved things like boot sequence and time and date and few other things if the battery was dead the worst you would find is that every time you switched off from the wall or unplugged is that you would have to reset all the information every time.

Now i am not a mac user and in all honesty i cant say that the battery would work in a different way in the mac but dont think it will as they just provide a trickle of power to keep information saved and what you are describing in that it just wont turn on at all after being unplugged not that you have to reset everything.

Best advice on the mac is to call local mac store describe fault and see what they suggest i do know a mac god and will ask him for you next time he online.

Is it hanging on shut down? i read it as it started up odly and asked for a reboot?

computerbitz":2bdm8ur6 said:
Best advice on the mac is to call local mac store describe fault and see what they suggest i do know a mac god and will ask him for you next time he online.
I did that the first this happened a year ago. Sod the bloody thing worked perfect :twisted:
Thanks for asking for me :D

Is it hanging on shut down? i read it as it started up odly and asked for a reboot?

It shuts down perfect. And starts to start perfect. Then the message :(

Back