Art with a capital F

highlandsflyer":icfu2pe3 said:
Define modern art?

I am sure you must love a hell of a lot of what is classified as modern art.

:)

It's quite a nebulous term - perhaps anything that can be displayed in a gallery that was made since 1990. For example;

1. Tracy Emin
2. Damien Hurst
3. Grayson Perry

None of what I've seen at Tate Modern or any modern galleries leave my neck hairs tingling. However modern literature, film, architecture or theatre set my neck hairs off. Could you recommend any artist that could set them off?

the tate modern...I've seen better work by pre schoolers high on E numbers! who when asked can explain their work better that half the up their own backside hipsters walking around that place trying to look cool

alanf":2qb3iiu1 said:
the tate modern...I've seen better work by pre schoolers high on E numbers! who when asked can explain their work better that half the up their own backside hipsters walking around that place trying to look cool

Christ not this old chesnut again. Art cannot be quantified or determined by a set of criteria. If someone sees something as art then art it is, if someone else doesn't see the same thing as art then to them art it isn't. Admitedly I do find some things that are labeled art stretching the point a bit but who the hell am I to judge ?
At least these arse dwelling hipsters are actually creating something, worthwhile or not rather than poncing around on a football pitch playing a meaningless game for 100 grand a week paid for by the baying masses that wouldn't know a Turner if it kicked them in the nuts.

Mind you some people consider football to be art.......

B77":c0wuoqr7 said:
alanf":c0wuoqr7 said:

Christ not this old chesnut again. Art cannot be quantified or determined by a set of criteria. If someone sees something as art then art it is, if someone else doesn't see the same thing as art then to them art it isn't. Admitedly I do find some things that are labeled art stretching the point a bit but who the hell am I to judge ?
At least these arse dwelling hipsters are actually creating something, worthwhile or not rather than poncing around on a football pitch playing a meaningless game for 100 grand a week paid for by the baying masses that wouldn't know a Turner if it kicked them in the nuts.

Mind you some people consider football to be art.......

Hello hello, football's an art

Rodin's The Kiss, Dali's Metamorphosis of Narcissus. Pretty impressive to my mind. Both currently at the Tate Modern.

Modern Art covers a huge period, going back a century and a half.

If you can't remember anything in that time frame that floats your boat, I would suggest taking a second look.

:)

I'm a fan of Antony Gormley - Ignore the angel of the north though.

field-for-the-british-isles-antony-gormley.jpg

532774_9faf4ee4.jpg

C5303_Antony%20Gormley%20Quantum%20Cloud%20Docklands_02B_600.jpg

My work explores the relationship between the universality of mt tam and copycat hillocks.

With influences as diverse as jon whyte and gary fisher, new synergies are distilled from both constructed and discovered framesets.

Ever since I was a poor fcker I have been fascinated by the ephemeral nature of mud. What starts out as yearning soon becomes sweated into a manifesto of power, leaving only a sense of failure for the over paid weekend warriors left behind on their 29ers and the prospect of a new pair of xt shifters.

As momentary derivatives become frozen through emergent and diverse practice, the rider is left with a glimpse of the retro in our existence

Chute55uk":x29g5spq said:
My work explores the relationship between the universality of mt tam and copycat hillocks.

With influences as diverse as jon whyte and gary fisher, new synergies are distilled from both constructed and discovered framesets.

Ever since I was a poor fcker I have been fascinated by the ephemeral nature of mud. What starts out as yearning soon becomes sweated into a manifesto of power, leaving only a sense of failure for the over paid weekend warriors left behind on their 29ers and the prospect of a new pair of xt shifters.

As momentary derivatives become frozen through emergent and diverse practice, the rider is left with a glimpse of the retro in our existence
Love it!

Back