Numb hands after riding.

Kona-Ian

Senior Retro Guru
Keep getting numb hands while riding lately.
After a few miles, pins and needles.
Haven't changed anything on the bike and it's annoying.
Don't know why :x

I had this on a motorcycle as well as a bike. Foam grips and some sort of gloves did help reduce it greatly though.

Also I found I was to big for the bike so almost all of my upper body weight was being put through my hands on the bars, leaning on them rather than resting on them if you will. Changing to a larger frame with a more relaxed style helped also

Both the bikes are 18" have been riding 18" frames since about 14.
So that's the frame size part ruled out.
Do wear riding gloves and haven't changed the grips.
Maybe just getting older :LOL:

I'm getting this, and think that my stem is too long and low, and I need a slightly less aggressive position to the one I loved when younger.

Do have bars quite close on both bikes.
Do suffer from wrist problems so hope it's not as serious as carpal tunnel.

had carpel tunnel in the right wrist, used to go numb and tingly after about 5 mins. Had the op to sort it and its been good since, trouble is ive now got it in the left wrist. I have found that these new ergo grips are very good and can help a lot. I would recommend some.

Didnt specialized do gloves that stopped this by padding them in the right place to relieve pressure on the ulna (spelling?) nerve which caused pins and needles?

Maybe check them out?

I get this when the grips are hard.
Also I reduced it by moving the brake levers more horizontal so your resting position on the hand when braking etc twists under rather than in or over the bars.

Also heightened when I ride the smallest of my bikes.

Off to look up more about Carpals Tunnels

Kona-Ian":1zoetqou said:
Both the bikes are 18" have been riding 18" frames since about 14. So that's the frame size part ruled out.

erm..unless your 16 then there is a chance your body is not as flexible as it was

try something like a dutch bike or street bike with a more relaxed size 18...i'm guessing you will see the difference

Back