MTB Terrain Fear

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
What kind of MTB Terrain gives you the Fear ?

I'm scared of Bedrock, no good reason for it as loads of rock types are pretty grippy even in the wet. Conversley I actually like tree root infested trails and they are slippy. I'm not bothered about loose rock and fields of boulders but I just get the fear riding over rock that is still firmly attached to the planet. i know it will hurt if I land on it as it has zero give but so will anything else. mind you the multiple crashes I pulled off on the Bedrock of Dalbeattie forest probably didn't help matters :roll:

sand, it blows i yer eyes when its windy, makes your front wheel uncotrolable, saps you energy and speed, hides in woods pretending to be soil, sticks like shit when its wet, chafes like hell when it gets in your shorts and buggers up your drive train.
hate the stuff when im on a bike but love it when its hot and sunny, strange that.

drop-offs - just cannot get the hang of them.

Non naturally occurring stuff at trail centres, trail centre only type stuff. Wet 'north shore' and rocky bits, stuff you'd never come across anywhere else unless you were lucky enough to go cycling abroad.

'Its a new challenge' I hear you cry - well I'd rather it be in the appropriate climate than a wet muddy UK attempting this sort of thing - in other words, warm and sunny.

<hurrumphs loudly and stomps off to make a cup of tea>

lumos2000":3w1i03gd said:
sand, it blows i yer eyes when its windy, makes your front wheel uncotrolable, saps you energy and speed, hides in woods pretending to be soil, sticks like shit when its wet, chafes like hell when it gets in your shorts and buggers up your drive train.
hate the stuff when im on a bike but love it when its hot and sunny, strange that.

Another vote for sand here - the bane of many a cyclo-cross rider. :(

David

beach sand - the hard stuff is brilliant

soft stuff encountered on the trails - bars straight and pedal fast... maybe.

Wet wood, whether it is tree roots or "Northshore" stuff. Slippery nightmare.

Also Wet limestone or chalk - nature's teflon.

lumos2000":1m3shq8j said:

That's from too many years of riding The Purbecks!!

Anything outdoors and more than 2ft away from the internet fills me with cold shivers and the sweats :shock:

G

Back