Looking for a new car - any advice.

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok, looks like my hulking great 4x4 might be sold, and I've been lookng at the following options:

Mondeo ST220/Ghia X 3.0 (and both of the 2.2tdi variants of the same)
Passat V6 4motion
Passat V6 Tdi
Volvo V70 (diesel or Petrol)
Audi A6 avant 2.7t petrol
Audi S4 avant

Ok not exactly a short list, but there's so many options from each of these, it's quite a tough choice for me. Now I already know how fast they all are, and how much fuel they like to guzzle, so really only need some real life experiences of how they run, etc. good and bad..

Cheers in advance. :cool:

whats the budget?

my advice would be Audi/VW diesel engine with Quattro/4Motion.
I had an A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport, what a car!!! 180BHP standard but had it remapped and it was awesome, the remap sorted the turbo lag and the Quattro is a right laugh in snow and gives you so much confidence in all other weathers :cool:

It's GOT TO BE an estate car.

my concern about the a4 is they're quite small inside.. mybe I'm wrong.

I had an A6 2.5tdi last year and it was nice, but maybe a chance for something new?? Problem with the passat 2.5 is it's not 4motion, only the petrol v6 is.. :?

budget is up to £5k.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'd agree with the A4 being small inside - if you have a family then 3 abreast in child seats in the back is a heck of a squeeze. After all it's essentially a tarted up Golf floorpan.

I had a Mondeo ST Diesel for a few long trips in France which was torquey and frugal, although didn't have massive power (I had 200bhp a Saab 9000 at the time) but it handled nicely, was well built and comfortable.

i had the 2.8 V6 4motion mate, was nice but was an older one with the proper 30 valve V6 :cool:

17022010461.jpg

18022010462.jpg

think it was only 220bhp or something, but they are cheap and reliable and awesome in the snow.....thats my old volvo v50 next to it for size comparison

Wouldn't get an older Audi as everyone I know that's got one has had big problems with even bigger bills. They seem to turn to mince after 7 years or 80000 miles.

Back