Whiplash claims

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I had a bump in the car this morning. The other driver's fault and, fair play to her, she has informed her insurers it was totally her fault. They've contacted me to tell me that they'll be paying for everything including car hire and my excess.

I told my insurer and now their solicitors have asked me if I have any signs of whiplash, and if so I and my son, who was passenger, could be entitled to thousands in compensation.

Despite causing a fair bit of damage to the side of my car, the crash was very slow motion, and caused us no discomfort at all, but they've said that they'll phone us a couple of times to check that it doesn't get worse. They've even described the symptoms we should look out for.

I know that whiplash may take some days to show itself, but I'm 100% sure we haven't had it, and it just pisses me off the way we're virtually being encouraged to exaggerate and get some cash.

No wonder insurance premiums are rocketing :twisted:

On the other hand though don't discount it, my missus is still suffering with the effects of a whiplash injury that wasn't treated properly from an accident nearly 15 years ago. Yes she did claim but the doctors never picked up how bad it was and she is paying for physio out of her own pocket now. Make sure you get checked up properly even if you don't feel injured or don't intend claiming.

**** it! If my premium pays for a bit of cash for you and your son, I dont mind! I never claimed after being t-boned and now wish I'd boarded that band-wagon.

I'm in the middle of a big claim after getting hit by a careless white van man on the commute home. Don't feel bad about claiming, most people would.

I got £2000 last year or so ago for an accident in the works van. I even played down the non existent pain. I simply jumped through the hoops offered to me to see where it would lead.

**** it ... doowit

Broady":1gby8ng8 said:
Don't feel bad about claiming, most people would.

Would they?? It's claims like these that directly increase the premiums of our car insurance policies.....

I know people who have claimed like this when they have probably had very little to complain about or no symptoms at all.....whiplash can be a very difficult thing to diagnose and it is difficult to say what other people feel....so if they complain of pain then healthcare professionals will probably just diagnose whiplash. The healthcare professionals conducting independent medical assessments do of course have a vested interest too as more claims mean more medical assessments/reports for them to earn more dough from.

I know you could look at it as "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" but it annoys me that people have such messed up morales and little sense of guilt these days.

I wouldn't do it personally, and i didn't when i got 3 phone calls in a week from a lawyers firm last time i got bumped at low speed in a car park causing no injury.

Drewson":3dv3mbz1 said:
Broady":3dv3mbz1 said:
Don't feel bad about claiming, most people would.

Would they?? It's claims like these that directly increase the premiums of our car insurance policies.....

I know people who have claimed like this when they have probably had very little to complain about or no symptoms at all.....whiplash can be a very difficult thing to diagnose and it is difficult to say what other people feel....so if they complain of pain then healthcare professionals will probably just diagnose whiplash. The healthcare professionals conducting independent medical assessments do of course have a vested interest too as more claims mean more medical assessments/reports for them to earn more dough from.

I know you could look at it as "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" but it annoys me that people have such messed up morales and little sense of guilt these days.

I wouldn't do it personally, and i didn't when i got 3 phone calls in a week from a lawyers firm last time i got bumped at low speed in a car park causing no injury.

To clarify my original post, I don't advocate claiming if there's nothing wrong with you but if there is legit personal injury by all means try to claim something.

There are definitely a lot of 'ambulance chasers' around nowadays when it comes to solicitors. I was in hospital overnight recovering and the following fortnight I was bombarded with text messages and answerphone messages from various no win no fee companies. No idea how they got my number although apparently they can get them from hospitals?! Was very odd anyway.

Broady":7tpe2xk2 said:
To clarify my original post, I don't advocate claiming if there's nothing wrong with you but if there is legit personal injury by all means try to claim something.

Can't complain with that.... :)

see how the symptoms develop, if they develop then see a doctor it can take a couple of days.

there are posts like yours on car forums with horror sotries of people who did not claim then spend years getting physio and pain.

Just had a call this evening from a firm called JMC about my accident. Apparently insurance companies have a "contingency fund" for injury claims so I should claim as "compensation" for my "trauma and distress and inconvenience".

I repeated that neither I nor my son suffered any distress and feel no discomfort at all, so he promptly said that he'd phone me in a few days to see if any symptoms appear.

God knows how these vultures find out about such accidents and I can fully understand how people eventually do claim as it seems so easy.

I just can't believe it's right to claim if there's no hint of any physical problem at all - it's verging on fraud, but obviously if symptoms appear in a few days then I'll have to reconsider, but I doubt that they will.

Back