PC Laptop not connecting via ethernet

claret73

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I use Mac via an ethernet Cable Modem. Works fine. I have a PC Laptop for work & wanted to connect the ethernet to it. Doesn't work fine, can't connect? Not 100% with PC settings, anybody see what I'm doing wrong?...

Is the PC supplied by an employer? If so it may well have had the network settings pre-configured and locked down.

Otherwise, some more details about which OS the PC is running would be good...

Don't think the settings are locked. It was configured to run on the building's wireless network. No Ethernet configured.
Running Windows 7

Even if not locked down they could be manually configured.

Anyway, if you go to the start menu, then control panel
click on "View Network Status and Tasks" (Under "Network and Internet")

Over on the right hand side, click on Local Area Connection
Click on Details

Tell us what it says under "DHCP enabled" and "IPv4 Address"

Control Panel is a bit different to what you're pointing me to. I have:
Network & Sharing Center

Anyhow, opening the Lan connection I get:
8x checked boxes, 1 which says Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
Selecting properties on this gives me a new window:
2x Radio buttons both highlighted 'Obtain both IP & DNS Server automatically'

If I click the advanced button I get 3x Tabs IP Settings, DNS & WINS
IP Settings has a line DHCP enabled
WINS has Netbios setting on default

Any sense?

ajm":23jyr3oa said:
Tell us what it says under "DHCP enabled" and "IPv4 Address"

Rewind that lot of info I've found the Window:
DHCP enabled YES
IPv4 Address 169.354.18.124

claret73":6go1dank said:
Control Panel is a bit different to what you're pointing me to. I have:
Network & Sharing Center

There are several ways of displaying the control centre, but the option I mentioned is normally below "Network and Sharing Centre" on the main control panel screen, rather than something reached by clicking on "Network & Sharing Centre" if you see what I mean... no matter.

Any sense?

Yes, it makes sense... on the Mac, how did you originally set it up - was there a CD or something with the modem? I suppose what would be best is to check the network settings on the Mac and see what they are - you might need to manually configure a static IP address in this case.

As the only Mac in the house is downstairs and I'm lazy I can't tell you how to get that information click by click right now but can if you're stuck...

The 169.whatever address by the way didn't come from a DHCP server, it just means Windows couldn't get an address so just used that one in the meantime (which is useless as far as you're concerned!)

I can't remember how I configured the Mac, not sure I used a CD...
I've copied the IP addresses from the Mac & DNS etc but still no joy. That does change DHCP to not enabled though...

Really Big Thanks! For your help, but not to worry now, it's late!
Cheers
Andy

Right, sounds like you will need to disable DHCP and manually configure the appropriate addresses - it's pretty straightforward as you have the working settings on the Mac to guide you (I'm assuming here that DHCP isn't being used on the Mac either)

Definitely bed time now but could assist another day if you get stuck.

Back