Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:16 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:50 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:04 pm
Posts: 3198
Location: Chorley, Lancs
Prog implies progressive, but the only progression I could see was 3 or 4 over-indulgent musicians using ever more kit and standing further apart on an even bigger stage....

eg Emerson,Lake and Palmer! Did Carl Palmer really need all those drums? Keith Emerson all those synthesisers?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:56 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:11 pm
Posts: 8479
Location: Fircombe.
azaro wrote:
Prog implies progressive, but the only progression I could see was 3 or 4 over-indulgent musicians using ever more kit and standing further apart on an even bigger stage....

eg Emerson,Lake and Palmer! Did Carl Palmer really need all those drums? Keith Emerson all those synthesisers?


Course he did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89g1P_J40JA

Though at the same time as all this pompous shite there were jewels lik,e this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sSXQtkF ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOEFnJ7JqUU


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:48 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 8202
Location: New Forest, UK
I agree there was a hugely bombastic trend (amps going up to 11) and truckloads of kit for concerts.

Personally I feel the most serious criticism was an excess of musicianship over musicality - enjoying self-indulgent technical stuff rather than things that sounded good. But it also set the foundation for electronica and much more...think of everything that Brian Eno has done for example.

For me 'Larks' Tongues in Aspic' by King Crimson that created the 'wow' moment. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:32 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 2185
Location: Shrewsbury
You can't say Prog Rock without this! Its the bench mark :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o6_svhDz30


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:00 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 am
Posts: 823
Location: On my sofa
Thanks for all the suggestions - going to settle down with a glass of red and enjoy some prog rock splendidness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:04 pm
Posts: 3198
Location: Chorley, Lancs
Retro Cat wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions - going to settle down with a glass of red and enjoy some prog rock splendidness.


Give that up and get some protest songs down you!

The Clash!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:55 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:20 am
Posts: 823
Location: On my sofa
azaro wrote:
Retro Cat wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions - going to settle down with a glass of red and enjoy some prog rock splendidness.


Give that up and get some protest songs down you!

The Clash!!!


Now there's an idea... Billy Bragg, Bob Dylan and erm?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:04 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 2185
Location: Shrewsbury
Retro Cat wrote:
Now there's an idea... Billy Bragg, Bob Dylan and


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njG7p6CSbCU


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:40 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 3092
Location: Runcorn, cheshire.
here is a list of some prog rock albums i'll surprised anyone will have heard of.

omega - time robber.
dr z - 3 parts to my soul.
gong - camembert electrique.
9.30 fly - 9.30 fly.
caravan - in the land of grey & pink.

loved listening to close to the edge again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:10 am 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:36 am
Posts: 4715
Location: Burlington, ON Canada
videojetman wrote:
here is a list of some prog rock albums i'll surprised anyone will have heard of.

omega - time robber.
dr z - 3 parts to my soul.
gong - camembert electrique.
9.30 fly - 9.30 fly.
caravan - in the land of grey & pink.



Gong? Never heard of 'em.

Image

If I dug, I could find some Caravan.

Now, if we're talking obscure......

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: old_coyote_pedaller and 52 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group