Turning out well so i feel i should share with the rest of you
Problem-TV broke and need a new one.Unfortunately the TV i had had a built in stand which i cannot use for a modern 37" led
Problem2-Seen the cost of cheap pants tv units -Extortionate
Solution- Make my own
After a bit of thought and the lack of 3 phase planer/thicknesser and saw bench i decided to use MDF.Mainly because of it stability,use of use and with a little thought only cutting and routing to make it without the need for the above machinery.
Given i need a specific height and to make that easier i opted for 1" thick MDF[in an 8'x4' board
This is the result
Im not happy with the shelf and top so will be changing them for solid 1" oak and the shelf will have a large section removed from the middle and replaced with toughened safety glass to allow light in above and below.
Thankfully i know a chap who has a cabinet workshop chock full of big 3 phase machinery and even better he owes me £100 for the sale i a big chippings extractor i left with him[i was storing it there but found out the bugger was using it industrially
We had a chat and decided on a fair price[costs £400 new]
As ive yet to pick up those monies from him i could just get the lot in 30mm[1"] oak boards and do the majority of the machining and gluing up in his workshop then the rest of the final shaping at home.
The top and shelf will follow the side pieces shape and curve outwards at the front and rear to keep with the curvy nature.
Only thing im unsure of at present is whether or not to polish the oak in the same red shellac[french polish]or just leave it with a clear coat on it and being thats the sections in use use a polyurethane varnish for its hardwearing nature.Maybe a melamine finish,just depends on what is easiest to apply.
I used to hate mdf and did everything in solid.Ive oak,cherry,ash furniture ive made for myself previously and anyting with mfd in it[tabletops etc] were finished in a veneer or burr veneer.This is the first painted piece ive done
The sides are made up from 32 identical pieces all cut machined and sanded then 3 coats of shellac sanding sealer[the first with 50/50 shellac/meths] to absorb into the rough edges machined mdf always has[a friggin nightmare to finish]Then about 5 or 6 coats of pigmented french trans polish.
I used polish because if i dont like it or grow to dislike it i can reverse the finish by removing it with a cloth an liberal amounts of meths.
I know theres a number of woodworkers on here both amateur and professional[im the latter] and would like to know what they think.And all you other guys as well
Obviously nothings glued up so its all sitting piled up and not arranged so they all line up properly but rest assured im making a jig to keep everything aligned till ive made up each section.To get past the issue of only using glue which i feel isnt strong enough i intend to bore 2 long holes in each side and tie the whole thing together with threaded rod,which will then be hidden from view on top but accessible from the underside to enable it to either come apart for transport or so that i can add a 2n shelf should i feel the single isnt enough.
Pic one- rough mdf after machining for a general idea
Pic two- mock up or you could call it dress rehearsal
1976 Raleigh Chipper,1991 Muddy Fox Adventurer,1991 Claud Butler Ventoux 400 ,1992 Raleigh Diablo ,1992 Rudy Project, 1995 Cannondale M200 ,1997 Santa Cruz Tazmon ,1997 Specialized Stumpjumper ,1997 Specialized Rockhopper ,1997 Marin Quake 9.0,1998 Marin Pallisade trail ,1998 Raleigh Torus,1999 Orange Clockwork , 2005 Kona Hahanna ,2007 On-One Inbred ,2010 Orange Pure7 And of course The Ti
The Marvellous Mechanical Hope Collection ,and other Hope niceties