Fog lights

feetabix

Retrobike Rider
Why do grown men think its cool to drive around with side lights and fog lights illuminated in good visibility?....... :?

The side lights on my Insignia are always on, like a Volvo, daytime running lights or some such shit they call it.

Daytime running lights have a different rating to fogs, and are fully legal all weathers........fogs use high intensity bulbs and should only be used in visibility under 100 metres...... :D

I almost pulled a driver over tonight for blazing fogs, it was peeing rain and they were really overboard.

I think some people have never seen real fog.

Most people don't know when to use lights and when to not. or to just use sidelight over main lights... let alone fog lights.

Taking this in a different direction ... What about automatic light switching? Have you noticed the number of cars that don't have lights on during daytime in fog? I bet most of them are cars with auto lights. It is bright enough during the day for the lights not to come on. Most drivers leave their lights on the auto setting not even thinking to turn them on manually in fog.

Are we talking about front fog lights or rear?

Rear fog lights should only be used when visibility is very very very bad. They are the same intensity as brake lights so if misused may reduce the chances of the following traffic seeing your brake lights and thus could cause an accident. Front fog lights however are aimed low to get under the fog and light up the road surface so shouldn't dazzle on coming traffic. They should be used whenever it is even remotely justifiable, i.e there is the slightest bit of mist in a field somewhere. Front fog lights look cool, fact!!!

Most daylight running lights are rated to the maximum allowed 1200cd which competes with the sun and focus directly infront of the car. I think is plain stupid in a country such as ours with such dull weather they are blinding. Japan has a maximum setting of around 300cd which is like traditional side lights. I fail to see why fog lights are any worse than the DRL of say a citreon, they are bloody bright with pin points of bright light from each LED.

I moaned about fogs when driving up to Newcastle from Blackpool on Monday when it was raining to be told by the female passenger that you should always have fog lights on when it was raining. Pointed out that it was utter cock but how could she be wrong? o_O :shock:

Back