Cycle hate - US style

A few miles further down the road the lead rider stopped when he realised his mrs was driving and trying to give them the cheese and piccalilli sandwiches they had left behind.....on purpose

Strangely, I have noticed recently that there has been a increase in the number of morons in cars, who suddely blast the horn as they are overtaking you.
I ride the coast road between Barry and Ogmore by Sea a lot, and its such a common thing to get a frightening and prolonged horn blast, particularly from farmers in pickups. Must be because we are faster than their tractors which usually slow us all up. Jealousy?

all things considered, this incident seems rather sedated comapared to some encounters i've seen recently involving cyclists and motorists!
but still, this sort of behaviour is usually a precursor to something a little more physical...

twain":2snrgk87 said:
all things considered, this incident seems rather sedated comapared to some encounters i've seen recently involving cyclists and motorists!
but still, this sort of behaviour is usually a precursor to something a little more physical...

I think it's only sedate because the car is matching the speed of the cyclists. To me, the driver is being deliberately threatening and intimidating.

I also think the two cyclists were incredibly restrained, as I would just have stopped and asked the driver WTF his problem was.

The point in posting this, is that we should not have to put up with this sort of cr*p, nor the verbal abuse and the "you don't pay road tax" type comments that I have has countless times while riding my horse, while riding on open quiet country roads (or anywhere else for that matter).

Strangely, around here the worst offenders are always old men

old people are dangerous enough behind the wheel without becoming aggressive!
agreed, the cyclists showed a degree of restraint that others (including myself) would probably not have been able to - which is probably why the situation didn't escalate :p

i hate aggressive behaviour as well - and can probably be safe assuming that without that car, the driver probably wouldn't have had the balls to behave in the same way.

to some people (and its seems a growing trend these days) the car is used as a weapon as well as a means of transport. and just like any other weapon, in the wrong hands, it will often almost always end in tragedy.

but nothing will be done until something worse happens, or, these sorts of incidents will just keep happening over and over again...... :roll:

i long for the day i can live outside the existence of these types of people.

to some people (and its seems a growing trend these days) the car is used as a weapon as well as a means of transport.

Cars stopped being "just a means of transport" a long time ago, probably the last car that was "just a means of transport" was the Model T Ford, since then they've been a mobile status symbol. No one "needs" a 500 horsepower supercar or executive saloon, very few need a massive 4x4, but they sell in their millions to sad people that think that having expensive stuff makes other people like them more.

Make all cars mere means of transport, introduce a 100hp limit on everything except commercial vehicles, trucks, tractors etc. that need more power and we'll see a change in driver attitude. Lets end the most environmentally damaging dick waving contest in existence.

IN the UK you have to pass by a cars width. So i agree, more should stick to it. How man drivers know that? A small percentagewould be my guess.

cyfa2809":3p6w0bx3 said:
IN the UK you have to pass by a cars width. So i agree, more should stick to it. How man drivers know that? A small percentagewould be my guess.

True, which is why I ride in the middle of the lane to make sure they can't get past if things are tight, and they have to give me some room, even if it's only the room I've given myself. Some drivers don't like it, but tough. Had to rant at a van driver on Wednesday, as he turned onto my road with me ending up alongside his passenger window, and trying to squeeze me. A thump on his door and some choice words made him back off and follow me until he eventually squeezed by me to more words and hand signals. They'll never learn :roll:

Back