Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:45 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Well I never...!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:12 pm 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC

had a little run in with a large motorised vehicle of the kind used to maintain highways on tuesday last week.

6am on a dark lane, big rumbling noise sitting on my rear wheel. Lots of twists and turns but they sit there for a while, then with 2 turns left to go, I hear the engine rumble a lot louder and he pulls out to overtake.

I thought he might do something so was on my guard and sure enough, just as he pulls in front, a car appears on the other side. He very quickly slams on the anchors and pulls back into my lane. running me off the road into the verge.

Few years worth of riding round central london and i've had a fair few knock and spills, but nothing scared and angered me like that. no spill, no scrapes, I didn't even stop but I was shaking like a leaf.

got to my lifts house and phoned the police. managed to get some kind of fix on the number plate, and passed the details on. very understanding young officer took the call and although she couldn't match my version of the plate, she did assure me that "we have out secret ways".

Also phoned the local authority to find out who was in charge of this particular department and left them with some details about what had happened.

>>>>>>>>

fast forward to today, a few phonecalls and an email or two.

The driver of the truck has been identified, has apologised (not in person, but it'll do) and so I've been told, put on a saftey course.

The subcontracting company have also said that they'll rebrief all their drivers on bike safety as will the company who contracted them.

Yet to hear anything from local constabulary, but even taken with a pinch of salt, it's more than I was expecting!

Post subject: Re: Well I never...!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:33 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

BobCatMax wrote:
it's more than I was expecting!

Glad to hear you are ok buddy! I must say though, for anyone in that situation, I think that is more than anyone ever gets!

Bizzarely, however, through years of cycling on roads as a youngster and now (though not so much now) I have never had an incident or near miss with a vehicle. I do sit proud of the drains though so makes risky manouveres trickier for drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:38 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Was that in Worthing? All the municipal vehicles are based just past Travis Perkins in Clapham I believe....

Good to know you're ok buddy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:42 am 
South East Deputy AEC
South East Deputy AEC

It was Ross, down Titnore lane (fnarr fnarr)

I'm not gonna name names as the police are involved