Yoga

claret73

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm now getting some treatment for this knee injury I've carried for some time...so, started to stretch once a day after the light turbo rides. Came across some Yoga stretches for cyclists which were done by a female cyclist in London who teaches Yoga. (I'm not in London) I felt so much better stretching this way than the general routine and wondered if anybody has done Yoga, either just because, after an injury and which type??...

I don't really fancy 'Ommmming & Ummmmmming in a room of Yummie Mummys'...(well, actually a room full of Yummies sounds like it could be interesting :LOL: )

I have practiced Yoga every day bar illness since 1988 ..........used to teach it a bit too.

Yoga is great, but you can still injure your self like any exercise. Never over extend or twist your knees, that's my tip.

Some of the teachers now have injury due to RSI !!! but that is the more extreme practice.........normal yoga is great although it's good to vary the routine from time to time. :D

Yoga teachers can vary a lot, some will be respectful of any illness you have, others (the nutters) will claim yoga will cure you of anything and you must not deviate from the routine...........wheel of yoga is a good basic cert but some teachers are more modern minded when it comes to injury.

Building things up slowly should help you, but expect a few aches and twinges and burnng sensations around the injury as it gets massaged /worked deeply :D

Hasn't done Giggs much harm Andy!
A mate of mine started yoga a few years back, and it's changed his fitness hugely.
He used to always be picking up niggling strains, but seems to stay mush fitter now

IMHO Iyengar's probably a bit physical and intense to start with, especially if you have an injury. A bit like jumping in on an advanced circuit training session.

Have a look for Hatha yoga, and BWY cert to begin with. Less competitive and body conscious...much more breathing, meditation as well as the Asanas. If you find that's too tame, then move on to Iyengar etc.
(My wife's BWY teacher :D )

Maybe stick with the sports physio for the specific knee trouble, and yoga as general maintenence...

All the best,

Cheers for all the input guys!! Found a place that teaches lots of cyclists & one of the instructors is a cyclist himself. Spent some time emailing the senior instructor & she deffo understands what I need to do this for, specific to the bike & getting injury free..she's been asking all the right questions, so I'm going to pop down & have a final chat before signing up...

Back