Any animal experts?

russ77

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hoping that someone can help identify a strange animal I saw earlier today. So we were driving home earlier and there was a very unusual animal in the road in front of us. Photo below if this works.

9BB3868B-0D22-4F92-8662-5659BFCAD8E4-1727-00000366F5830F8D.jpg

It was about the size of a medium-sized dog, brown fur. Face like a rabbit's. White stripe across its backside. Didn't seem at all phased by the car until my wife got out to take a photo, then it ran under a fence.

We were near Henley on Thames, right where my sister-in-law claims to have seen wallabies!

Any ideas? It's being doing my head in!

Oh yeah, it kind of hopped as well. Like a kangaroo or a big rabbit.

I tried a very complex mammal identification program online that confidently tells me it's either a grey squirrel or a domestic cat.

grumpycommuter":3qqmpams said:
Could be a Muntjac deer....they are tiny!

See them all the time. They're off as soon as they see a car. I reckon this was a domesticated animal maybe from how it didn't scarper immediately. Proper weird.

russ77":27hqathr said:
grumpycommuter":27hqathr said:
Could be a Muntjac deer....they are tiny!

See them all the time. They're off as soon as they see a car. I reckon this was a domesticated animal maybe from how it didn't scarper immediately. Proper weird.

certainly looks rodent ish...llike a skinny capybara.

Wouldn't say I'm an expert as such but we have an animal sanctuary/rescue centre and we've had it all, Marten, Wild Boar, Coypu, all sorts of deer and birds and it's got to be said that is bloody weird, maybe a coypu but it's too big and the wrong colour, could be a Muntjac but the nose is very squared off in the photo. ThoughT maybe a Wallaby too, there's loads in the New Forest but nah. Very odd.

Edit, just shown my wife, first thing she said was Wallaby.

That's a Coypu or Capybara. Maybe it's escaped from a celeb's private menagerie. It's crawling with em down by the riverside...,

capybara:

capybara.jpg

except the ears are too big.

Rum doos

Back