Which Dremel?

grahame

Senior Retro Guru
Right, chaps (and chapesses),

After the useful advice on family cars, I'd like a bit more advice from the wise (or at least opinionated) collective:

Which Dremel should I ask my wife to get me for my birthday?

It is not going to be used heavily, mostly for a bit of hobby/craft type work, maybe the occasional bit of sheet metal cutting and grinding, but mostly polishing type work. So should I ask for mains or cordless? Then which particular model?

I will give most weight to direct personal experience, and significantly less to "My mate down the pub reckons" type advice.

Cheers,

Grahame

I have a main one . proper Dremel brand . I think it is the 3000 .

it is very good .

just bought a set of tools for it from Aldi . they all fit .

Ok, we use dremels at work for deburring, the one argos does for £50 doesn't last. I've just bought a 175w 4000 series from screwfix for £130 (for work). That's a man's tool and is up to cutting sheet metal, comes with disc for doing so. I doubt anything less would cut sheet without impairing it's lifespan.

deffo get mains powered. the one i got was from aldi and it is very usefull indeed. :)

I got the 3000, mains powered. I have just polished up some cranks with it after doing one set by hand, it certainly made life a lot easier.

Quickly runs to see what mine is...........

Model 395 240v :D had it for about 10 yrs possibly more, its just something thats been around so long :cool:
Mine has been used HEAVILY and is still as good as ever.

I wouldnt recommend the cordless model as i know someone with it and he hates its lack of oomph

i got a mains powered one, tiz probbay going on 10 years old, still runs like new! also got the flexi drivebit - well worth it for the polishing too as the main bit is quite heavy!

Be sure to get the 3-foot-long Flex Shaft extension as well. That way, you can choose to hold it either like a pencil or a like handlebar grip, depending on the level of control you want. To me, gripping the Dremel by itself without the extension is like holding a baseball; not nearly as much control as when the extension is used.

Back