Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:46 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:21 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 pm
Posts: 938
The 50ft rule was also one of my concerns, but I felt that as there was a risk of overshooting my boundaries or shooting through my boundary I went the slingshot direction.

Plus it's easy to stick in a pocket with some balls and take out for some fun on the bike.

I went out with some lads a coupe of weeks ago and when I took it out they were straight out with the kiddie comments, but 10 minutes later I couldn't wrestle it back from them :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:39 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:08 am
Posts: 847
Location: French Alps/Annecy
cannondale king wrote:
B77 wrote:
Gotta be said, a hell of a lot of dick waving masculine shite being taliked in this thread. Sad little men up against big aggressive rabbits and pigeons :roll:
Gavinda, your kid sounds like he's going to grow up as a decent member of society....jesus.



Pot kettle black YOUR FRENCH :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: decent member of society :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


If you dont like it DONT comment on the thread what a douche :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Actually I'm English and if I see something I don't like I'll stand up and say it me old china, tea and crumpets picture of the queen wiggo etc ad nauseum

@Gavinda, damn right I'd say it to your face but sadly that's not really going to happen, if you saw some persons kid or heard of someones kid behaving in a what would be considered an unacceptable manner wouldn't you say something ? Yeah cats shitting in gardens is pretty crap, then again would you have a problem is a bunch of seals and dolphins etc turned up at your door cos I'm telling you mate your shit gets dumped straight into the sea. Then again that's not going to happen either.


Last edited by B77 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:46 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
B77 wrote:
Hmm don't you think if people didn't/hadn't kill/killed all the , Foxes, Martens, Buzzrds, Kites, Harriers, Stoats, Wildcats, Polecats, Weasels that the populations would control themselves ? Same as crow & magpie 'oh they raid songbird nests say the 'pest control' brigade. Farmers grubbed up the hedgerow the primary habitat of songbirds to increase field/yeilds, the woodlands the primary habitat of corvids were left alone.....lets shoot the farmers or better yet humans, after all we have reached epidemic proportions.
No matter what justifaction you give it you wouldn't kill animals or spend lots of money on kit if you didn't enjoy it.


Your last point first.

I take part in deer culls.

The part I enjoy is nothing to do with killing animals.

Farmers are actually involved in many schemes to set aside land for fauna, and have been for decades. The countryside is much safer in the hands of farmers than power companies.

Ideally we would leave lots more to nature, but we are where we are with respect to production of food. The UK's food production is already extremely efficient, moving forward it would seem we can do a lot yet to minimise environmental impact and I am sure that will happen.

Humans have reached a great number, agreed. Population control is a natural result of increasing living standards, so that seems the way forward at the present time.

Meanwhile we have resources aplenty if we reduce greed.

Look at the average portion size in a US eatery. Often 60% of the food is left on the plate. The USA consumes resources vastly disproportionate to the population size.

This sense of 'entitlement' to consume is what we need to overcome.

Were we all to think about how our behaviour effects the world at large, we might just leave that extra portion of meat, potatoes or salad. We might drive a little slower to save fuel, and we might settle for less clothes or CDs, blah, blah, blah.

My take is that getting out and interacting with nature does nothing but increase our awareness, and this is bound to influence our behaviour. It is clear that going out and seeing how animals are raised and slaughtered effects most people in a good way; they take more interest in their diet, the source of their food and the welfare of the animals they eat.

I would much rather eat an animal that had a decent life and was dispatched humanely than one domestically reared and led to slaughter en mass, with all the fear and suffering that causes.

Speaking as a vegetarian, (mainly).

Sure there is an element of dick dangling involved with any hunting, but there is also an incredible amount of learning, and assimilation with the ways of nature.

If the initial draw is the thrill of playing with guns, etc. the end appears to justify the means.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:48 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:57 pm
Posts: 4074
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
B77 wrote:
Actually I'm English and if I see something I don't like I'll stand up and say it me old china, tea and crumpets picture of the queen wiggo etc ad nauseum


There's a difference between saying you don't like something and insulting people. I'd suggest sticking to the first, because the latter will only make people take you less seriously.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm 
Anglian AEC / Prison Ship Captain
Anglian AEC / Prison Ship Captain
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:26 am
Posts: 6045
Location: LOWESTOFT the worlds smallest bore fest
B77 wrote:
cannondale king wrote:
B77 wrote:
Gotta be said, a hell of a lot of dick waving masculine shite being taliked in this thread. Sad little men up against big aggressive rabbits and pigeons :roll:
Gavinda, your kid sounds like he's going to grow up as a decent member of society....jesus.



Pot kettle black YOUR FRENCH :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: decent member of society :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


If you dont like it DONT comment on the thread what a douche :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Actually I'm English and if I see something I don't like I'll stand up and say it me old china, tea and crumpets picture of the queen wiggo etc ad nauseum



Sorry fella just wondered if you'd bite :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


hunting is one of thoses things some people dont like it and most who dont like it have never tried to find out why people who do it do it kinda bigoted like hating a race without knowing anything about them and the reasons why they do what they do crazy really wouldn't you think? :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:57 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:08 am
Posts: 847
Location: French Alps/Annecy
cannondale king wrote:
B77 wrote:
cannondale king wrote:
B77 wrote:
Gotta be said, a hell of a lot of dick waving masculine shite being taliked in this thread. Sad little men up against big aggressive rabbits and pigeons :roll:
Gavinda, your kid sounds like he's going to grow up as a decent member of society....jesus.



Pot kettle black YOUR FRENCH :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: decent member of society :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


If you dont like it DONT comment on the thread what a douche :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Actually I'm English and if I see something I don't like I'll stand up and say it me old china, tea and crumpets picture of the queen wiggo etc ad nauseum



Sorry fella just wondered if you'd bite :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


hunting is one of thoses things some people dont like it and most who dont like it have never tried to find out why people who do it do it kinda bigoted like hating a race without knowing anything about them and the reasons why they do what they do crazy really wouldn't you think? :?


Of course I''l bite, hook, line, sinker & copy of angling times ;). I have shot animals for food and there is a certain thrill to be had in the taking of a life but my point is that so many have said they don't get any pleasure from it, why the hell do it then ? The whole over population control or pest control angle is just a justification instead of saying 'I like killing animals' imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:15 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
B77 wrote:
I have shot animals for food and there is a certain thrill to be had in the taking of a life but my point is that so many have said they don't get any pleasure from it, why the hell do it then ? The whole over population control or pest control angle is just a justification instead of saying 'I like killing animals' imo.


Well it is clear now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:33 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 7889
Location: Mid Suffolk
B77 wrote:
I have shot animals for food and there is a certain thrill to be had in the taking of a life.


Really?
I always felt a little sad. Whatever it is I got from killing stuff it wasn't pleasure (perhaps some kind of gratification from the accuracy of the shot but that isn't hunting exclusive) .. it's the shooting I enjoy, no matter the target.

Seems to me you're judging everyone by your own warped morals.

As for gavindas lad... he's 2. I think we can probably cut him some slack for his potential future :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:01 pm 
Anglian AEC / Prison Ship Captain
Anglian AEC / Prison Ship Captain
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:26 am
Posts: 6045
Location: LOWESTOFT the worlds smallest bore fest
I awlays feel glad and sad if i get the shot glad it was clean and job well done and bad that i was the one that did

Then comes the cooking and eating it and im over joyed

1. i didn't pay the butcher for it i got it myself

2. i know its free range

3. it tastes nice (im a good cook no way round that)

4. When you grew up with not a lot of cash around its good to know there can be a meal readily available even when there's nothing in the purse :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:04 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 pm
Posts: 938
I've had to reread this thread twice now and can't see any willy waving or masculine bullshit in here :?

In fact the only bullshit I've seen and mention of the thrill of killing is b77 him/herself.

The rest had been calm, mature, discussion on shooting which has touched on hunting/pest control. It seems more were into target than anything else.

And leave the boy out of you tool.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fudd and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group