mudguards and frame protection

gavinda

Senior Retro Guru
i've just ordered my new bike and bearing in mind the oncoming winter am looking at mudgaurds and frame protection stuff. theres just so much to choose from though and the mind boggles.

i've currently got a crud on the front of the rigid bike and have used one happily for years, but ive noticed on the trails a lot of guys have a neoprene band on thier front forks.

do these work or should i just get another crud also, school me on chainstay protectors and cable patches if you could please. im all for protecting my new invesmtment, but am wary of getting that max power accessorised look :LOL:

Of course the best protection would be to use an old bike for the winter.

If that's not an option, I'd just get plenty of oil and Vaseline. No, no jokes here.
Just put Vaseline all around the places where you expect dirt and water to get into the headset, crankset etc.
If you've ridden the bike, clean it with plenty of hot water and soap that evening (to get rid of any salt and grime), and put it indoors to dry.
Of course, you'll need to re-apply the Vaseline and lubricate the chain and mechs every time you clean the bike, so if you ride the bike to work every day, that means washing, lubricating and applying Vaseline on a daily basis.

A friend of mine went even further and actually put Vaseline all over his frame and forks. by the end of any ride, my downtube was full of muddy snowy stalactites whereas his bike was nearly clean.
I can imagine that it's better for the paint as well, but that's one step too far for me. If you're really that worried about the paint, put the bike in storage until the weather improves and get a £50 winter hack. It'll be just as fast and you don't have to worry about falling off either.

im kind of down that route allready with the rigid bike and the new one is going to be used 2/3 times a month if i'm lucky.the bike will be hosed and lubed after most rides.

maybe i wasnt clear enough but my bigger concern was cable rub and mud splashing up when riding.

specifically i was wondering about the effectiveness of the frame 'armour' patches some folks use and the different 'mud' devices on offer as the crud stuff seems to be looked down on a little.

this sor t of stuff

frame patches

mudguard?

shockboot

I just keep mine clean and lubed.

Frame protectors, EBay some helicopter tape.

Chanstay protector, wrap and old inner tube tight and secure 2 ends with cable ties.

Shock protectors, never used them, always worried about 1 piece of grit stuck behind and then scratching.

Use a car wax on the frame to make washing easier. Hose off after each ride, wash with a brush and washing up, hose off again. Relube chain and pivot points.

Front crud catchers stop mud that flies up and into your face. Those neoprene things that go between the fork brace and crown stop the mud that flies forward and up in front of you. When travling at speed you catch this mud back up as it slows and it all ends up in your face.

As for frame protection patches, it's much cheaper to buy a role of helitape and make you own. That way you can make them as big or small and whatever shape you like. Just search on ebay for helitape, helicopter tape or bike protection tape. You will be able to get a 1 meter x 25mm roll for less than you would pay for 5 small lizard skin patches (which have stupid lizards printed on them).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Helicopter-Bi ... 53dda26fa7

Chainstay protectors: You could use the helitape (two layers maybe) or get a purpose made stick on one or a neoprene velcro on one. Up to you really. The neoprene ones will offer the best protection and can easily be removed for cleaning. If your a bit lazy and its going to get soaking wet and then left on a steel bike to dry in the shed during the winter then maybe a stick on one would be better bet.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27985

Some of them come in different sizes as some bike have massive stays and some dont. The one in the link looks like it will fit a typical hardtail.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
In the winter I fit front and rear fenders from Toby Henderson Enterprises (THE) They are really good at keeping the mud off my face and back.

Attachments

• THE FENDER.png
    THE FENDER.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 407
great advice guys...much more what i was after...ive seen heli tape mentioned in the past...i shall look into this. hmm my dad flies folks out to the rigs in sweaty land, maybe he can score some for me :LOL:

i'll look into these other bits too pat.

4480135559_a4566a1a51_o.jpg

Would this be taking it too far?

Latest posts

Back