Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:26 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:01 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 7889
Location: Mid Suffolk
Quote:
Tick bites are generally painless. Many people may not even notice the bite and may never find the tick if it falls off. Small ticks, like the deer tick that transmits Lyme disease, are so tiny they may be nearly undetectable. Some ticks are about as small as the period at the end of this sentence.


From
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/ticks/pa ... _and_signs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:07 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 4977
Location: Edinburgh
IDB1 wrote:
Quote:
Tick bites are generally painless. Many people may not even notice the bite and may never find the tick if it falls off. Small ticks, like the deer tick that transmits Lyme disease, are so tiny they may be nearly undetectable. Some ticks are about as small as the period at the end of this sentence.


From
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/ticks/pa ... _and_signs


I've only ever been bitten in the borders and highlands in Scotland. Obviously we just have the big buggers up here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:10 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 7889
Location: Mid Suffolk
Tazio wrote:
I've only ever been bitten in the borders and highlands in Scotland. Obviously we just have the big buggers up here.


Weeeell.. we found a few on one of the dogs when we lived in Essex and they were rather chunky too so I thought they were one size fits all too..
Only been doing some reading about it from this thread (since, for some reason, I was under the impression that Lymes was non-existant over here) and it's pretty scary stuff..

Thetford Forest, for instance, has been the source of Lymes disease in recent years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:15 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 4977
Location: Edinburgh
IDB1 wrote:

Thetford Forest, for instance, has been the source of Lymes disease in recent years.


Like I said earlier on Kaya was telling me last year about him having it. He said his biggest battle was getting the docs to believe him there was something wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:16 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 7889
Location: Mid Suffolk
Seems like it's not THAT bad if you catch it early but there's some serious s**t if not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:18 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:56 pm
Posts: 2475
Location: A Fifer furth o' the Kingdom
Tazio, looking at the OP's pic of his leg, the the bull's eye rash is clearly seen where bite was, so as has almost certainly been confirmed by his doc, it's Lyme disease.
Last time I had a tick was summer last year, never felt it bite, could barely see it as it was tiny. Looked like a tiny bit of dirt. We'd been canoeing down at Lochore Meadows. From carpark to water was less than 5 meters, we landed on one of islands for a wee look so hard to know where it hitched a lift. Was checking my leg every day for a couple of weeks for signs of the rash. All OK though. I'm now paranoid about checking for ticks where I'm likely to get bitten.
Had to remove tick from one of our cats recently, luckily it was on it's ear so visible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:21 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 4977
Location: Edinburgh
old_coyote_pedaller wrote:
Tazio, looking at the OP's pic of his leg, the the bull's eye rash is clearly seen where bite was, so as has almost certainly been confirmed by his doc, it's Lyme disease.
Last time I had a tick was summer last year, never felt it bite, could barely see it as it was tiny. Looked like a tiny bit of dirt. We'd been canoeing down at Lochore Meadows. From carpark to water was less than 5 meters, we landed on one of islands for a wee look so hard to know where it hitched a lift. Was checking my leg every day for a couple of weeks for signs of the rash. All OK though. I'm now paranoid about checking for ticks where I'm likely to get bitten.
Had to remove tick from one of our cats recently, luckily it was on it's ear so visible.


Looking back now he's cut it down to one pic it is indeed very clear. Ticks really are evil little buggers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:26 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 7889
Location: Mid Suffolk
The chunky ones we were sent these as being tres effective for removal (by someone who has removed loads from their dogs)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tick-Remover- ... 500wt_1076

An ex-friend used to Frontline her kids and poured some (Frontline) over the ticks on my dogs leg to get them off.. worked a treat..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:31 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:56 pm
Posts: 2475
Location: A Fifer furth o' the Kingdom
Tazio, what you wrote about Kaya having difficulty being taken seriously by doctors is what tends to happen. The 2 people I know of and others I've read about all seem to have had a problem getting diagnosed when all the indications and symptoms pointed directly to Lyme disease.
Many doctors seem ignorant of Lyme disease and don't act with the speed required to check for it to give antibiotics as soon as possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:04 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 4007
Location: uk
From what i've gathered recently.........not all people get a rash, which means you may have it for longer without knowing..........only about 50% of the rashes are typical the others can be atypical and mistaken for less serious things again then if left till other symtoms occour.........so the fact that one of the bites went typical was lucky for me to get a quickish diagnosis.

The ones on my hands did invert to a small bulls eye but they were too small for 'textbook' diagnosis.

1st doc said it will go away you've just had alergic reaction to bites !

2nd doc said no can't be Lymes (you've not been swiming in dirty water !!! that weils you idiot)

3rd doc i took many pics of typical/atypical rashes + good medical
summeries of the net, but didn't need persuading and said the main bigger rash was 90% typical and they do not appear other than Lymes really.


Wishing the 1st doc had put me on meds there and then as now there has been a delay of 3 days ............and fast treatment is crucial..........Lymes can reach your central nervous system quite quickly, a day or two.


I feel quite flu like and weak and a bit stiff in my lower back and a bit sick.

Hoping the NHS guidelines for length of treatment will be enough as there seems to be big debate you need to be on med a few weeks longer to get it properly.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: xerxes and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group