Second hand family car choice - help please?

grahame

Senior Retro Guru
Right, I've sold the BMW, so it's time to find a replacement to use as a family car.

I've got a fun/stupid car (the Citroen DS), and the finance director wants an MPV type thing. I don't like paying huge depreciation, so we are looking second hand - up to 3 years old or so.

We've narrowed it down to 3 cars that we are going to test drive this coming weekend. So do any of you have experience and/or (informed) opinions of any of the following:
Ford C-Max
VW Touran
Toyota Verso.

Or anything else in the 7 - 10k price bracket that we should consider?

grahame":3a0uac8n said:
Right, I've sold the BMW, so it's time to find a replacement to use as a family car.

I've got a fun/stupid car (the Citroen DS), and the finance director wants an MPV type thing. I don't like paying huge depreciation, so we are looking second hand - up to 3 years old or so.

We've narrowed it down to 3 cars that we are going to test drive this coming weekend. So do any of you have experience and/or (informed) opinions of any of the following:
Ford C-Max
VW Touran
Toyota Verso.

I friend has a new c-max and it has spent more time in the dealers being repaired then he has driven it.

Go with Vee dubb :D

Ok this is going to sound very very snobby but after having more cars than you can shake a stick at the only cars I'll consider now are Audi, Vw and Toyota and for vans Merc or Vw. Go for the Touran the diesel version is economical and bombproof. Or alternatively

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/07-56-vw-tran ... 1058wt_984

Low enough to get into car parks (1.79m) very good on fuel, I had one with all leather, all options, it was like being in a private jet! Plus you can whip the seats out, loads of room for the bike.

Ford, Fix Or Repair Daily
Or
Found On Road Dead

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Brother in law has a Toyota Verso (200:cool:, whilst its not very 'exciting' he's yet to spend anything on it beyond tyres, servicing and other consumables. Fuel economy is excellent and it's like a tardis for interior space. I drive lots of different cars for a living and so can be quite picky, but I'm yet to find fault with the Verso.

I would go with the Touran or the C-Max, i used to discount Ford's but my brother swears by his Mondeo Econetic, he had a BMW 320d before but reckons the Mondeo is a much better car. He didn't get a Touran because it isn't rated very highly by the motoring press, he wanted a C-Max but his Mrs insisted on a saloon (she's Brazilian, they don't do people carriers!)

Thing is with Ford and Vauxhall all the parts are different for different size of engine, sometimes they will do a run of cars with Lockheed brakes or whoever for 4 months then change to another manufacturer. BMW, Audi & VW used pretty much the same disposables (pads, filters etc) for the whole series which brings prices down and are generally widely available.

Is it going to get shed loads of abuse, kids, football, McDonalds, bales of hay, mud etc or is it to be kept in good nick ?

Shaun

mass199":3bwkqj26 said:
grahame":3bwkqj26 said:

Ford C-Max
VW Touran
Toyota Verso.

I friend has a new c-max and it has spent more time in the dealers being repaired then he has driven it.

Go with Vee dubb :D

Flip side is that two lads at work have C-Max's and have never had a problem where as those with VW's are always in the garage. I'd never touch an Audi as three people I know have them (A3's) and I can't believe how often they go wrong. Always costs £500+ to fix as well :shock:

Midlife":zvtn9wrl said:
Is it going to get shed loads of abuse, kids, football, McDonalds, bales of hay, mud etc or is it to be kept in good nick ?

Shaun

One baby daughter expected just before christmas. That will be it. The car will also be used (occasionally) for mountainbike trips. So, I hope, the level of abuse will be fairly low.

Back