Placing cycle shelters/parks in superstores

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
We visited the new M&S store at Cheshire Oaks over the weekend as the mrs wanted some bits, we decided to cycle to it. I was a bit disappointed to find where they had placed the cycle shelters. It's almost as if the architect knew he had to place some but didn't want it ruining the aesthetics of his "vision". There were dozens of non-disabled car park spaces closer to the entrance and under cover. See my crappy sketch below, circled are the cycle shelters, arrowed are the entrances. This photo still has the construction shelters.

What do you think, just a lack of thought or?
I would be surprised if I ever see a bike in the far shelter...

Oh and I should mention this is the new flagship store promoting sustainability, with living walls, electric car charge points, sustainable wood used throughout, ground source heatint etc.

391368_501117376580587_1457468559_n.jpg

And no doubt there's a shed load of CCTV cameras in the 'Oaks' yet non anywhere near the cycle sheds.

Cyclists generally do not spend as much as cages so they spend less on the provisions for them

Maybe I'm being a little victor meldrew, I just thought a store promoting sustainability would place the bike shelters a little more prominently closer to the entrance. All the other older stores round here(sainsburys, asda, boots, currys, maplin etc) have them right outside the entrance. They sell food in this store too so it's feasible that people would pop in for wine, posh sandwich etc on their bike.

I agree. It really seems daft, cycle facilities should at least merit next to entrance billing.

What is the message? Driving an electric vehicle is more environmentally friendly than cycling?

Easy_Rider":13djs4oi said:
...it's feasible that people would pop in for wine, posh sandwich etc on their bike.

You obviously don't know Ellesmere Port :LOL:
A posh sandwich is one with 2 slices of bread ;)

G

Or you could argue that they had sensibly placed the shelters where the cyclists would be least likely to be hit by your typical myopic M & S Driver

The one at the corner's only mildly rubbish, and at least it looks like you could get to it without actually having to go into the car park. The one round the side is hopeless -- is it intended for customers or is it a staff one?

Back