Bike battery advice needed ?

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
I have a motorcycle I rebuilt a couple of years ago, a QuingQi 125 also known as a Pulse Adrenaline, anyway once it was finished I didn't do anything with it but left it, but before leaving it I took the battery out which was fully charged and put it in the house where periodically I checked it's state of charge and according to my charging device, it held charge.

Now this week I went back to the bike and took the battery which still showed full charge, but it spun the starter motor but it didn't fire, not surprising really as the fuel was aged, but the battery died. So I take it out and bring it into the house to recharge and so it does according to my charger and it charged quickly which I thought was unusual, but on trying on the bike this time it would not spin the starter motor, nothing happened except for a clicking of the starter relay, which I thought was faulty so I took it apart to find it wasn't, so I have that to rebuild now as I am not paying £30+ for a genuine part, I can't afford it anyway.

So I have concluded the problem is the battery, although my solid state smart charger says the battery is charged, it's obviously not, it seems to have lost it's cranking power.

So can anyone give a clue to what is the problem here, is it the battery stuffed or is it the charger or both ?

The battery is a Varta Gel battery which cost me quite a lot of money and I will be at pains to replace, so I am hoping the battery can be 'repaired', or reactivated in some way as it was not left flat.

Thank you for sharing!
kv.gif

Well, a curious thing, the battery is now working again, turning the engine over, for when I left it on the bike outside, there was a solar charger fitted that I just could be bothered to unplug and it seems to have charged the battery so much so that it now works, which could mean my solid state smart charger is not working. Still need a new starter solenoid though as the internals of the solenoid don't look right, it looks like something is missing and the kickstand switch that works off the solenoid never worked and that has to for the MOT.

Back