Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:15 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:56 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

suburbanreuben wrote:
6 Mb download and 0.8Mb upload. with BT...
Are you guys using the right case M/m ?

It's the 'b' not the 'm' you're talking about - least I hope it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:26 pm 
Retro Guru

Aside from cities and places where there are large concentrations of people broadband speeds will be low because we do not have the infrastructure to support high speed broadband, as most of what our broadband runs down is copper wire meant for telephony.

Aside from that everyone s out to make money not provide a service, you want more pay more instead of going for the best deal.

But given my recent issues with my own broadband, since I added an extension to chrome to kill flash, my broadband is much faster, added to that I quit wireless and plugged in an a cat 6 ethernet lead, but my supplier plusnet, ( owned to BT but cheaper), admitted there are limitations to ADSL and that being the copper wire meant for telephony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:41 pm 
Retro Guru

Neil wrote:
suburbanreuben wrote:
6 Mb download and 0.8Mb upload. with BT...
Are you guys using the right case M/m ?

It's the 'b' not the 'm' you're talking about - least I hope it is.

I think everyone is on the same page we all just get a bit confused with cases as you said. Mbps - Mega bits per second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:45 pm 
Retro Guru

silverclaws wrote:
as most of what our broadband runs down is copper wire meant for telephony.

Alot of it is aluminium too. Cheaper (and higher resistivity) than copper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:21 pm 
Retro Guru

im with talk talk and get no less than 16mb download and 2mb upload. fastest has been 26mb. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:59 pm 
Retro Guru

I work in the industry (disclaimer!)

A lot of speed issues are cause by ropey internal wiring. BT sell (giveaway sometimes if you ask nicely) a new front plate for the master socket that solves the problem. The other thing you can do, if you have cordless phones, is disconnect any extensions. Some people report that just disconnecting the ring wire (orange/white) solves the problem.

There's really not that much aluminium left. The GPO used it for a few years in the 70's when copper prices went berserk but it doesn't last well and much has been replaced. It becomes brittle over time and breaks. As retrobikers know, it doesn't much like being bent.

A problem in the UK is that broadband is, relatively, quite cheap. Lots of other countries have faster broadband, very few have cheaper or more widely available broadband. It means that there's not much profit to be made and it's hard to justify investment.

If putting someone on one of the fibre options costs somewhere around £1000, it takes a long time at £15 a month to make a return - and bear in mind that prices continue to fall and future regulation might mean that you have to sell that £1000 connection to a competitor for only a tiny amount more than it cost. That tends to mean that Virgin and BT only roll out new kit where they know they'll have a shot at making a return - and that means places where lots of people already buy broadband.

Telcos aren't rolling in cash these days. Virgin is heavily indebted, BT has tens of thousands of pesky pensioners living longer than was expected to make payments to. So they have to borrow money to build stuff, but not many banks will be impressed if you ask to borrow £1000 and tell them it'll take maybe a decade to pay them back. Assuming you want to make some profit yourself for your efforts, I think it's hard to make the numbers stack up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:45 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

checked my speed this morning.
3526 kbps.
dont think the wiring is an issue here.
but i do love being able to watch you tube video's with out them freezing every 5 seconds. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:16 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Virgin Media Cable here; the service I have is 100Mbps Up and 10Mbs down, I regularly get 97-103Mbps up and 9.75Mbps down (according to Speedtest.net).

Can't complain, really! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:26 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Ive not checked our speed in ages but it was 2.2 the last time I checked.It has now gone up to 4.17 so some thing has been changed in the last few months :D

Link to the speed tester I use.

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:34 pm 
Retro Guru

I just tried speedtest.net and got 7.92 down and 0.73 up. My router is on the end of a 40 odd foot 'cheapo crappy installed by me' extension too, so I don't think thats too bad. Talk Talk told me I would get 11 so that could be the case if I moved the router to the primary socket and disconnected the extension.

Would I be right in thinking that when you get buffering on Iplayer or such like it's often because they have run out of bandwidth at their end. When this has happened to me I've run a speed test and got good numbers. I've then tried a less popular program on Iplayer and its been fine. Where I'm going with this is that when BT and Virgin promote their super fast sevices by stating that you will never see bufferng again, is it true? I suspect not!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next