Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:04 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:51 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I have got a bit mad on buying cycling books lately.

I don't have loads at present, but they are often interesting and insightful and keep me out of the pub, something to do when the rain is erm, a bit too rainy.

There are reviews over the net on lots of them, some of the books I read were great and were read because of reviews but others I just couldn't get to like too much. (The latter ones are in the minority however).

My actual interest in terms of Retrobike, would be books that cover earlier cycle racing or touring (Road) and also Clunker / MTB stuff.

Do you have a book that you really enjoyed? Would you like to share why that is and what the book is about?

I did check for a previous thread on this but didn't find much in a few mins searching. If there is a thread I would love to see it.

I will go first on this :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:16 am 

My first recent book is called 'Need for the bike'. Its an English translation of a French book by Paul Fournel.

It has, perhaps, not the most inspiring cover (old blokes pushing hard on their bikes) but in some ways, thats great, its people enjoying the bike for what it is. One bloke has his tongue out the side of his mouth, another has a grimace, and a few others look like they don't know why someone is in front of them taking a picture. Its not a TTT of a cover, thats for sure.

The book is a series of short essays on the bike, the smells, sensations, the general drudgery, enjoyment and ecstacy of the bike, rolled into one.

It considers if Dogs or Cats would like to ride a bike, its frivolous and its also very consuming in terms of people who find bikes something more than just a means to an end. It has something that I felt woke me up again to riding a bike as it said things that I understood.

A small passage in the book, in regard to Mt Ventoux:

"The Ventoux has no in-itself. It's the greatest revelation of your-self. It simply feeds backyour fatigue and fear. It has total knowledge of the shape you're in, your capacity for cycling happiness, and for happiness in general. It's yourself that you're climbing. If you don't want to know, stay at the bottom."

The whole thing is rammed with stuff like that, its not a story, its observations. I think everyone that has put a foot into a clipped or clipless pedal would enjoy it.

ISBN: 978-0-8032-6909-5

(I paid for the book with money, I don't know Paul Fournel or the translator).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:29 am 
Retro Guru

I'm the same!
I constantly trawl charity shops for them.....they don't turn up often though!

Favourites up till now are

'the rider' can't remember who by, and I'm not at home now to check

'one more kilometre and we're in the shower' can't remember who by also.

Good reads, the pair

Currently reading 'around Ireland in the small gear' a good one too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:54 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Having only recently succumbed to my sons interest in road riding, and as an avid reader, I have just finished David Millars book "Riding Through the Dark'.

Given the announcement yesterday about Lance Armstrong, that has added to what was already an interesting read.

I'm currently looking for other 'roadie reads', so will keep an eye on this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:58 am 
West Midlands AEC
West Midlands AEC

How I won the yellow jumper - Neil boulting

Good read, even better for a road newbie as it tells neds (itv TDF commutator ) journey into the world of the tour de France from his first interview with the pros when he didn't know the slightest thing about cycling. Very amusing !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:10 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

daj wrote:
How I won the yellow jumper - Neil boulting

Good read, even better for a road newbie as it tells neds (itv TDF commutator ) journey into the world of the tour de France from his first interview with the pros when he didn't know the slightest thing about cycling. Very amusing !!

Thanks Dave, I've seen it on line, so I'll grab myself a copy.

Ned was on the cycle show and told the story of the 'yellow jumper' incident :facepalm:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:09 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

A Race For Madmen is a great read, the history of the TDF from day one. Some great stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:24 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

I enjoyed 'The Bicycle book' by Bella Bathurst from my fairly recent reads

Not long finished the Marco Pantani book. Interesting read. Would be happy to swap with someone for something similar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:26 pm 
South East AEC
South East AEC

anything by Josie Dew, and http://www.metalcowboy.com/ If you can get a copy Seeing myself seeing the world by Sally Vantress is good, and of course look out for Willy Weir and his Spoke Songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:16 pm 
Retro Guru

Because the title sounded interesting I just bought David Millars' Racing Through the Dark on Amazon. I've read the first two chapters and it's very good so far. :D

Cheers Neil.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next