Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:26 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:00 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Not a great feat in the grand scheme of things but all the same, better than trying to redo Windows 7 without installation disks.

I am using Puppy with Google Chrome for Linux.

New laptops dont seem to come with anything helpful other than a recovery partition in the HDD, which is absolutely useless if said HDD fails!

Now for a lie down and then to install it on a netbook and an old PC...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:48 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Location: busy forgetting how to edge flip on a 11x11 monster cube///...
i did this and forgot to make a note of the username and password...doh...

good os tho but i have no idea on how good security is on it these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:41 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

my main pc died a month ago, so used an old lappy my parents gave me, I installed ubuntu - all works fine and once you get used to the software center then you will find good window alternatives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:57 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I've switched from Windows to Ubuntu on my PC and desktop and I've found both of them run much quicker and with less hassle than with Windows.

I agree about the good choice of free software, but one thing that also concerns me a bit is security. I can't find security software that works with Ubuntu but am led to believe that Ubuntu is less liable to attack by viruses etc.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, and is it safe for online buying, banking etc.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:37 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Firstly, the Linux base is written by a hacker (Linus Torvalds), so he probably has considered security risks a lot better than Microsoft did.

Secondly, Linux (in all its variations) doesn't have enough of a market share to be interesting to hackers and virus writers. There's no point in writing a virus targeted at 1.5% of the computers when the same effort can get you access to more than 80%, including most government computers.

As long as you pay attention when Linux asks for special permissions, you just can't go wrong with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:03 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Raging_Bulls wrote:
Firstly, the Linux base is written by a hacker (Linus Torvalds), so he probably has considered security risks a lot better than Microsoft did.

That's a bit naive, really. Linux has evolved from a monolithic kernel OS from a time where the security concerns of modern OSs were simply not realistically threats. In comparison to mainframe OSs it was then remarkably basic, at least from a kernel perspective.

On the other hand, most Windows OSs we're considering evolved from Windows NT which, on the other hand, at least stemmed from a robust kernel design.
Raging_Bulls wrote:
Secondly, Linux (in all its variations) doesn't have enough of a market share to be interesting to hackers and virus writers. There's no point in writing a virus targeted at 1.5% of the computers when the same effort can get you access to more than 80%, including most government computers.

This is probably more key - I'm far from convinced that the normal bandwagons spouted about security and stability are as much about prevalence, ISV involvement, and exploitation than actual inherent attributes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:24 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Neil wrote:
Raging_Bulls wrote:

That's a bit naive, really. Linux has evolved from a monolithic kernel OS from a time where the security concerns of modern OSs were simply not realistically threats. In comparison to mainframe OSs it was then remarkably basic, at least from a kernel perspective.

On the other hand, most Windows OSs we're considering evolved from Windows NT which, on the other hand, at least stemmed from a robust kernel design.
Raging_Bulls wrote:

This is probably more key - I'm far from convinced that the normal bandwagons spouted about security and stability are as much about prevalence, ISV involvement, and exploitation than actual inherent attributes.

Is that a yes or no? :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:34 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

A yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:02 pm 
Old School Grand Master

They're no different really. Once you start looking at details, all operating systems are very similar.

Still, it's good to be involved with Linux. Well done, LGF.

May I suggest Xubuntu next? 8)