Fairfax, Caliifornia honors its MTB roots

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
As one of the breeding grounds of the nascent sport of mountain biking during the 'seventies, the town of Fairfax was originally uncomfortable about its identification with the original downhill races.

Then thousands of mountain bikers showed up and spent a lot of money in Fairfax for a couple of decades, causing the town government to take a more relaxed attitude. As in downright encouragement.

Now the town is honoring its roots with a permanent work of public art, paid by public subscriptions. The main motif has yet to be assembled, a depiction of a "klunker" rider that is about a meter high, but here are a few shots of the work as it is progressing.

art01.jpg

art02.jpg

art03.jpg

art04.jpg

art05.jpg

art06.jpg

art07.jpg

art08.jpg

Well Salinas made their peace with John Steinbeck so I reckon Fairfax can do this with some pride.

Yesterday the town of Fairfax closed its main street to auto traffic in a celebration called "Streets for People." As part of the event the main motif for the Repack monument was unveiled.

Here is the sponsor wall. Each sprocket represents a $150 contribution to the publicly funded project.

Untitled.jpg

Here is the main figure. If you look closely, you can see the tiny red label on the right hip pocket indicating "Levis" brand jeans. The only kind I wear.

fairfax02.jpg

fairfax03.jpg

The image used by the artists is a reversed version of the following photo of me around 1977.

01A.jpg

Back