bad neck

gibbleking

Old School Grand Master
went for a very gentle bimble for 5 miles on monday...wasnt very hard,all on the road and a slow pace...i get home feeling fine..not even out of breath.
then tuesday comes.
now i cant move my neck,bend or twist ,sit properly without hunching over,my breathing is constricted and all my muscles in my back keep stabbing me with invisible screwdrivers.all my upper back is like in a craping state with spasms all the time.
i had this the last time i went for a gentle ride so im thinking i may be too low down at the front.
nb..i also have an old neck injury from 20 years ago that may not like jarring so my sneaking suspision is i may have to ride a sit up and beg type to stop this from happening again...

ps im also looking at getting some longer forks to see if that does the trick.as i dont fancy more of this pain...

any ideas ?

0000-Wild-1-Chubbys-Black-Out-Series-Ape-Hanger-Handlebars---.jpg

Think about building up a Cleland inspired bike. Not that stupid an idea but not particularly fast due to non aerodynamic stance. Great though for low speed techy stuff as low speed balance is great.
I have had to go the sit up and beg route due to neck pain but its worth it.

well its still killing me so im taking this an indicater not to go on my bike for a while....serves me right for using narrow bars all those years ago..now on the look out for a recumbant.... :cry:

i spent a little while looking at the cleland site last night. its a pretty cool way of looking at cycling, especiall the 'off road bike' rather than 'mountain bike' ethos.

this could well be what you are looking for, as at least you can still enjoy being off road, even if you cant do it at great speed.

like of like a land rover versus a dune buggy. :D

Sounds like a trapped nerve, sort of like sciatica, but in the neck.

Sometimes quite a small change in riding position can make a lot of difference, slightly shorter stem, bit more rise etc., but without moving to a drastically more upright position.

i ride 3 bikes of various sizes and every time i go for a bimble it ends up giving me neck ache...i even looked at beach cruisers as an alternative...just been on you tube looking at trike recumbants for ideas...

don't know if you have been to a chiropracter ?
i had a lot of back problems years back. spent a lot of money on a chiropracter, but it was money well spent.
occasionally i will get a stiff neck, but it tends to go after a few hours.

Back