Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:07 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:51 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:06 pm
Posts: 1388
Location: The Peth
Really fancy taking up kayaking....especially sea kayaking, but maybe river too.

Slightly put off by the risks as a couple of people have drowned doing it near where i live (admittedly that was a while ago) & a mate badly injured his head....but hey...life's for living.

I was really inspired by a guy a few years ago on the Coast programme who kayaked the coast of Britian and i thought that i'll do that some day....took him 3 months mind.

Anyone kayak in here? Any experiences to share (hopefully good ones....don't wanna hear too many scare stories!! :lol: )

Drew :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:35 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:58 am
Posts: 972
Can't wait to hear what Zoe say's, when you ask for a 3 months holiday, lol :-)

BTW have a look at this sea kayaking photos, amazing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18245139@N00/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:00 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:12 pm
Posts: 2993
Location: Northumberland
Wor lass was looking at this: http://kimbull.co.uk/ Not cheap, but on the Northumberland coast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:44 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:28 pm
Posts: 3361
Location: The Admiral Benbow
i had a similler idea a few years back when i was living in brazil but i couldent find an aforadable kayak anywhere, i got a sea kayak when i returned to the uk but my local club had a huge waiting list and was a bit clicky. i took my kayak out a few times but finding the time when the tides and weather was ok dident happen often. finding a friend who wants to do it with you is a good idea or make sure you can look after yourself if you get into trouble. i ended up selling the kayak from lack of use but i still would like to get another


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:57 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:58 am
Posts: 972
Drew the people next door to us (at Beadnell) have some, i could probably get a loan if you fancy?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:38 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 pm
Posts: 8226
Location: Cumbria
And you get struck by lightning according to BBC News :(

Shaun


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:40 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:06 pm
Posts: 1388
Location: The Peth
P20 wrote:
Wor lass was looking at this: http://kimbull.co.uk/ Not cheap, but on the Northumberland coast


Thanks Jack, looks like a good website.....may be using them in future.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:43 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:06 pm
Posts: 1388
Location: The Peth
toons wrote:
Drew the people next door to us (at Beadnell) have some, i could probably get a loan if you fancy?


Cheers for the offer but think i would need a little instruction first....don't think i'd just be able to go out there and teach myself.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:02 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:58 am
Posts: 972
Drewson wrote:
toons wrote:
Drew the people next door to us (at Beadnell) have some, i could probably get a loan if you fancy?


Cheers for the offer but think i would need a little instruction first....don't think i'd just be able to go out there and teach myself.....


Are you joking!?

You just stroke one side then the other!! If you’re going too much to the left, just put in two stokes on the right, have you never done it before?? We'd just follow the coast line & maybe head up one inlets!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:27 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:06 pm
Posts: 1388
Location: The Peth
toons wrote:
Drewson wrote:
toons wrote:
Drew the people next door to us (at Beadnell) have some, i could probably get a loan if you fancy?


Cheers for the offer but think i would need a little instruction first....don't think i'd just be able to go out there and teach myself.....


Are you joking!?

You just stroke one side then the other!! If you’re going too much to the left, just put in two stokes on the right, have you never done it before?? We'd just follow the coast line & maybe head up one inlets!


I'm talking about proper kayaks....not sit-on-top kayaks....therefore it would be good to be able to right yourself if you capsize....as i'd rather not drink that quantity of water.... :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: videojetman and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group