Flytipping of the worst kind :-(

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I cycled in to work today and came across asbestos tiles all over the cycle/footpath bridge over the canal. I couldnt believe someone would dump that right on the side of a busy path and not 500yrds from a playground!

I immediately reported to the council and made clear the urgency because it looked the kids had already been all over it breaking them up into pieces.

Home time at 6pm and it hadn't been touched, I expected a cordon at least! Called non emergency police number and they didn't want to know, called council again and they said they'll be on it straight away...

I found out from a colleague that he had reported last week!

I went back to take photos and noticed a business with CCTV, so I called in to check, the IT guy is going to go through the tapes.

Ever feel like your pissing in the wind and nobody gives a poo? Am I making a bug deal of it? I wonder what the local parents would say knowing their kids had been playing with this?

6C74D05F-92DE-4BEC-9E94-AE84C5779955-27808-000040F2DB76E877.jpg

790451B4-D55D-4B9E-BD2B-7A261F9E598A-27808-000040F2AB646B58.jpg

3A2CF333-A4E6-4B68-88CD-A549F68325C1-27808-000040F2F7DFBAD0.jpg

03D06915-2545-4265-989F-8CC0EB0E5554-27808-000040F31442C06E.jpg

well at least its one of the least harmful types of asbestos. but still not good to be playing around with.
who owns the land ? the council should really sort this out quite quickly, the problem being that they will now have to use a licensed contractor to remove and dispose of it. what sort of a knobhead dumps this stuff on a path ? !! :roll:

Easy_Rider":3ryn8fmb said:
Am I making a bug deal of it?

No your not. Perhaps give this story to your local newspapers. This may get the council in gear

Not sure it's it will be British waterways or the council as its just past the canal bridge. It is the least harmful asbestos but when it broken up the powder does contain asbestos fibres.
The sad thing is our council actually accepts asbestos at one of the amenity sites, I know this because I used it, really easy and free.

But if its a contractor (most likely) what done it, then they wont be allowed to take it to the council tip.... domestic only. They will have to pay a gate fee at a commercial recyclers.

This is the down side of the system of legislation we have. Enforcement promotes further illegal activity

G

Well I just hope something comes up on the CCTV footage so that the twat/s can be identified and prosecuted.

sadly this goes on a lot, seen a few abandoned houses/pubs filled up by fly tippers. at least its concrete based (not that's a excuse)

would have been better to dig a big hole and fill it.

sadly i have to have x rays every 6 months due to coring a hole thru a building slab that was full off the nasty nasty asbestos. building was made in 1947 when no one cares.

still seems some people still don't care.

Go to the local press, print a hundred flyers with a picture, description and a small map of the location, and hang them in the neighborhood.

Back