Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:55 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:50 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Won't be going but will be watching.

Had the privilege of working with some of the GB team just before the Sydney games.
Fabulous dedication and a really good laugh.
A humbling and rewarding experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 pm 
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special

silverclaws wrote:
I wonder if there is going to be the razmataz there was with the Olympics, or will it be a more low key affair ?

Much much more low key, the flame has already been passed on which i think is wrong really - i think they go hand in hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:49 pm 
Old School Grand Master

cyfa2809 wrote:
silverclaws wrote:
I wonder if there is going to be the razmataz there was with the Olympics, or will it be a more low key affair ?

Much much more low key, the flame has already been passed on which i think is wrong really - i think they go hand in hand.

Nail hit on head there.

I was moaning about this to my mum who is 'disabled'. I reckon the 100M should be run before or after the 'para' one, for example. Integrate it all properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:10 pm 
Retro Guru

Yes, I agree the two separate events should be merged as the disabled are part of us all aren't they, because holding two separate olympics to me comes across as one is not as important as the other and I already know the disabled event will be low key in comparison to the olympics itself, it always is. If the disabled are to be recognised as part of us all, it makes no sense to segregate them and their athletes to separate games.

We're all in it together remember, but I wonder will the person infamous for uttering those words be such an avid spectator at these next games or will there be more pressing matters to attend to like licking clean Coe's ring piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:20 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I reckon Coe's cove is already fit to serve breakfast in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:35 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

You're right, I don't think it'll be quite as showbiz, but ticket sales are looking good, so there shouldn't be the empty seats of Sydney, or the bussed in schoolkids of Beijing.

Cyfa: There's a separate Paralympic torch lighting ceremony and torch relayknocking about next week.

Integration is always a divisive issue in the 'community'. ABs aren't allowed to race wheelchairs in competition, yet some disabled athletes want the recognition of full integration with the AB sport world. Others prefer the special attention that an exclusive event produces. Some see that as playing the 'brave cripple' card. Aren't we all disabled in some sports in some way? I'm only 5'7", but there isn't an Olympic high jump for short people...After 15 years in the field, I'm still not sure which way I'd go.

London Marathon's had wheelchairs since '83, Great North Run since '81, The Diamond League has some T54/53 and T37 events included, so it's coming gradually...

As for combining Olympic and Paralympic events, it would be an enormous effort, unless the Para part was seriously reduced, which in itself would be controversial. There were 302 gold medals in the Olympics, there will be 499 in the Paralympics, and that doesn't include the Special Olympics for Learning Disabilities too. It would be a humongous event.

In addition, I suspect the IOC and the IPC would never be able to come to an agreement: Israel/Palestine anyone?

All the best,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:45 pm 

I think a side by side thing would be good but not full integration as you mentioned that would probably bring about more problems than it solves. But then also as you say with israel/palestine.

I didnt know it had its own torch/relay so at least on the same wavelength. That makes me feel a bit better. It comes near me also. But look at what it has taken for me to know this where as i can tell you that not long ago the olympic torch landed in rio as the information about that was presented to me easily.

I think rather than the associations involved in the games its probably problems with media rather than anything else.

Its a shame as some of the paralympic athletes are as good as if not better in many cases than AB athletes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:46 pm 
Old School Grand Master

danson67 wrote:
You're right, I don't think it'll be quite as showbiz, but ticket sales are looking good, so there shouldn't be the empty seats of Sydney, or the bussed in schoolkids of Beijing.

Cyfa: There's a separate Paralympic torch lighting ceremony and torch relayknocking about next week.

Integration is always a divisive issue in the 'community'. ABs aren't allowed to race wheelchairs in competition, yet some disabled athletes want the recognition of full integration with the AB sport world. Others prefer the special attention that an exclusive event produces. Some see that as playing the 'brave cripple' card. Aren't we all disabled in some sports in some way? I'm only 5'7", but there isn't an Olympic high jump for short people...After 15 years in the field, I'm still not sure which way I'd go.

London Marathon's had wheelchairs since '83, Great North Run since '81, The Diamond League has some T54/53 and T37 events included, so it's coming gradually...

As for combining Olympic and Paralympic events, it would be an enormous effort, unless the Para part was seriously reduced, which in itself would be controversial. There were 302 gold medals in the Olympics, there will be 499 in the Paralympics, and that doesn't include the Special Olympics for Learning Disabilities too. It would be a humongous event.

In addition, I suspect the IOC and the IPC would never be able to come to an agreement: Israel/Palestine anyone?

All the best,

Of course there is high jump for 5' 7" people.

I don't agree that there would be any issue integrating the games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:47 pm 
Retro Guru

If they can't agree or even compromise kick them out as unfit for purpose and start again with people that 'can do', because I do believe for a society to work together all strengths and weaknesses compliment each other we are all together or we are not and segregation only creates segregation that degrades cohesiveness and if people are apart how can they be part of society.

I have met people without the use of arms or legs, blind and deaf people and what they can't do, they tend to excel in other areas and when it comes to the learning disabilities, well Frank Herbert's Dune and the mentat, they are there.

We all have a use to society, it is down to us to put that use to good use for the benefit of the human race, for we can do better.

As to a para olympic torch relay, has there been a para olympic torch relay around the United Kingdom on the scale of the Olympics ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:53 pm 
Old School Grand Master

silverclaws wrote:
If they can't agree or even compromise kick them out as unfit for purpose and start again with people that 'can do', because I do believe for a society to work together all strengths and weaknesses compliment each other we are all together or we are not and segregation only creates segregation that degrades cohesiveness and if people are apart how can they be part of society.

I have met people without the use of arms or legs, blind and deaf people and what they can't do, they tend to excel in other areas and when it comes to the learning disabilities, well Frank Herbert's Dune and the mentat, they are there.

We all have a use to society, it is down to us to put that use to good use for the benefit of the human race, for we can do better.

As to a para olympic torch relay, has there been a para olympic torch relay around the United Kingdom on the scale of the Olympics ?

110%, or 85% 'para', behind this post.