cheap tablets - hanspree etc. which one to buy

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
i'm looking at picking up a small tablet mainly for photo gallery & video clip viewing but it will also be used for emailing and the odd bit of browsing & occasional media playback. the ability to run a couple of games would be a bonus but not the be all & end all.

I was looking at one of the hanspree models the other day & it didn't seem too bad for the money but there are quite a few budet tablets out there to pick from.

3 questions...

which one should i look at? are there any to avoid like the plague? will they be capable enough for the intended use or should I look at something in a higher price band?

jax13":12d473ml said:
i'm looking at picking up a small tablet mainly for photo gallery & video clip viewing but it will also be used for emailing and the odd bit of browsing & occasional media playback. the ability to run a couple of games would be a bonus but not the be all & end all.

I was looking at one of the hanspree models the other day & it didn't seem too bad for the money but there are quite a few budet tablets out there to pick from.

3 questions...

which one should i look at? are there any to avoid like the plague? will they be capable enough for the intended use or should I look at something in a higher price band?
What's your budget?

The Guv bought one, recently, and there was a thread about them, lots of suggestions and discussion.

I bought a bb playbook the other week 129 at pc world for the 16gb one and so far im happy with it. Ok the app store isnt huge but for what i use it for similar to what your wanting is ace. Even got a case for it with built in bluetooth keyboard of the bay.

Get your form factor first. 7 or 10 inch. Wide or 'square'
for full out picture viewing there is only apples ipad 3.
In the budget stakes or any competitor no screen yet has the colour space.

If perfect reproduction isn't needed you can get plenty of IPS panneled pads at 150 to 200 quid. The more money gets you dual core over single.
7 inch are cheaper still.
Google released it own brand nexus7, but not read up on that yet.

poweredbypies":3tvml3w1 said:
I bought a bb playbook the other week 129 at pc world for the 16gb one and so far im happy with it. Ok the app store isnt huge but for what i use it for similar to what your wanting is ace. Even got a case for it with built in bluetooth keyboard of the bay.

the killer question for me is does it have the gmail app? I can work around different browsers, app stores & picture galleries but i need to have gmail so that my desktop, tablet & phone are all whistling the same tune for my business emails.

£130 for the tablet is pretty much bang on what I wanted to be paying (i was budgeting £150 but that was to include a case etc.)

BB Playbook, I run my domain via g-mail with no issues onto the playbook so my laptop blackberry and playbook all have the same, if you use a blackberry the bridge function is fantastic.

Have to say, I've heard very good things about the playbook, ever since the price was reduced (earlier on in the year, may have been about Christmas / New Year). Was awfully tempted myself...

I think if you're just after standard things, email, browser, video, photo gallery, they're strong performers. Those that want the whole smörgåsbord of apps from big app stores like google play, and itunes, may be disasppointed a bit, but otherwise, from what I read, they perform very well.

Neil":3q93rqu8 said:
Have to say, I've heard very good things about the playbook, ever since the price was reduced (earlier on in the year, may have been about Christmas / New Year). Was awfully tempted myself...

I think if you're just after standard things, email, browser, video, photo gallery, they're strong performers. Those that want the whole smörgåsbord of apps from big app stores like google play, and itunes, may be disasppointed a bit, but otherwise, from what I read, they perform very well.

You can side load on Android apps, and it is due a OS update in the new year and it is belived to then run android apps as well as bb apps.

Nexus 7. I've got one. It's a billion times better than anything below its price point, just spend the extra.

djoptix":y769y7q2 said:
Nexus 7. I've got one. It's a billion times better than anything below its price point, just spend the extra.

Shame it's Not a Nexus-10 though. screens too small for me.

Back