Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:59 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:33 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: Odense, Denmark
Some stuff is worth summat.

Other stuff isn't.

It's really not that complicated......


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:04 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
highlandsflyer wrote:
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p3494

You would never find something like that back in 92.

Thank <deity>.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:26 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
Neil wrote:
highlandsflyer wrote:
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p3494

You would never find something like that back in 92.

Thank <deity>.


He he.

You know what I meant.

There are more bargains to be had now thanks to the amount of product out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:34 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 4977
Location: Edinburgh
It's very difficult to quantify what old stuff is work. New stuff is easier, I bought something last night that I could just pop onto CRC's website and work out that even paying a fair lump of cash I was actually saving in the order of £50, more if bought elsewhere full price.To me that was worth it for something I really wanted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 4756
Location: Heathfield, East Sussex
Tazio wrote:
It's very difficult to quantify what old stuff is worth...


As has been mentioned elsewhere above, anything is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, be it ridiculously cheap or eye wateringly expensive...

...too many localised factors involved at any given time to make a definitive assessment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:57 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 4977
Location: Edinburgh
We_are_Stevo wrote:

...too many localised factors involved at any given time to make a definitive assessment.


You mean like when you are finished building something and desperately needing something worth a fiver but are willing to pay a tenner?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:10 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 4756
Location: Heathfield, East Sussex
Tazio wrote:
We_are_Stevo wrote:

...too many localised factors involved at any given time to make a definitive assessment.


You mean like when you are finished building something and desperately needing something worth a fiver but are willing to pay a tenner?


...or there's only one on the whole of eBay, and it's way overpriced but you have to have it; then six months down the line there's a glut of them, at half what you had to pay! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:12 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:35 pm
Posts: 434
Location: Derby, UK
We_are_Stevo wrote:

...or there's only one on the whole of eBay, and it's way overpriced but you have to have it; then six months down the line there's a glut of them, at half what you had to pay! :lol:

Glad that's not just me then :lol: :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 pm
Posts: 4776
Location: No brakes? Way to commit soldier.
What's really sad, for me anyway, is when really nice original old bikes get split up and sold as parts because the seller isn't realistic about the price of the bike 'as a whole'.

This pastime has become more about turning a profit than retaining the originality of the bikes, which is a shame.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:23 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
Russell wrote:
What's really sad, for me anyway, is when really nice original old bikes get split up and sold as parts because the seller isn't realistic about the price of the bike 'as a whole'.

This pastime has become more about turning a profit than retaining the originality of the bikes, which is a shame.

Sing it brother.

I'm with you, there, whether or not it's a largely hopeless romanticism about nostalgia, or not, you have my vote.

Not a penny more on fuel tax, though, you hear?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FairfaxPat and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group