Are modern bikes overpriced?

not_fat_matt

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Fully admit im out the loop when it comes to modern bikes etc.

Chap at work just picked up a new bike from his LBS, took an interest as it runs 29" wheels ( looks odd! ), hydro discs front and rear, Suntour forks with lockout, looked a bit cheap with its white grips and saddle (already dirty) and wasnt the lightest either. Nearly fell over when he told me he'd paid £600 for it :eek:

paid £600 for my clockwork in 1990 so I think comparable modern bikes are reasonable value and more comfy to boot ;)

They are expensive and all look the same 'souless bland tat'.

Not surprising as most are built in the same factories by people that don't give a sh*t about anything but the bottom line!!

I'm a misserable old sod, innit great?

al. :D

I think they are overpriced in terms of the group sets fitted to them. But you can lay the blame for that at Shimano and SRAM's door.

not overpriced, but definitely overweight... :LOL:

I was in my LBS the other day looking at a 2012 Cube, and I could barely lift the bloody thing up.... :oops:

Rewind 22 years and my old Alpinestars was the exact same price, and in the mid to high 20lb weight category..

I don't know about over priced, as I remember paying more than a months wages for my STS-2 back in 1997. But, they are d*mned expensive, especially when you look at middle to top of the range models.

On the plus side, it also makes hand made frames from the likes of Roberts, Rourke, Yates etc look extremely good value for money.

NeilM":1wce27pq said:
On the plus side, it also makes hand made frames from the likes of Roberts, Rourke, Yates etc look extremely good value for money.

That's what I don't understand about modern bikes.

You can have something custom made for the same or less than something mass-produced? I'm sure that wasn't the case before.

I agree with Gazz and Steve.

Prices have remained fairly static while the value of money has come down, hence bikes represent better value for money than they did in the early/mid nineties.

But boy are they heavy. :shock:

Just been into my LBS and saw a Look 920, asked the price, 3500 quid, hmm not bad considerin gthe groupset forks & brakes that're on it I replied. 'Oh no that's just the frame'. Nearly swallowed my tongue.

Back