full engine rebuild on mk1 golf advice

Drapoon

Kona Fan
Hi there

Well had the bad news the bottom end on my mk1 golf 1.8 gti is totalled - shells are well & truely worn.

I need the following work done:

Cylinder Head:-
Reface
Pressure Testing
Valve Guides (supply & fit)
Valve seat cutting (3 angle)
Valve facing (2 angle + cleaning)
possibly Cylinder Head Porting (Gas Flowing)

Cylinder Block:-
Rebore 4 Cylinders
Reface block Face

Crankshaft:-

Full Regrind & Polish
Crack Test
Full Engine Balance

Con Rods:-
Remove/Fit & Hone New Small Ends

Flywheel:-
Reface & lighten

wondered if anybody has some contacts or links to a good company to undertake the work?

Any help appreciated, if you think retro bikes are expensive don't buy a retro car!

cheers

Martin

I would be looking for a donor car or a verified pulled engine. Mate upgraded his beemer lump lately for less than £100 on a pallet.

Good luck. :)

Midland VW

The guy who runs it has one hell of a good reputation, and has rebuilt the 1.8 in my brothers MK1 Gti

G

how many miles on the engine
does a re-bore guarantee you can use the original pistons? do they need bigger rings etc ?

might induce some piston problems, however from memory V A G had some tolerances built in to deal with this.

why the porting? performance? might be wise to change the pistons.

you probably know all this but just asking out of curiosity

ancilliary costs might be oil / water pump if the engine is higher mileage - rebuilds can have a few additional costs. if its an origjnal car i can see the point of keeping the original block otherwise another engine might be cheaper.

worn shells can be a sign of poor oil pump.

prroud owner of a replacement 4 cyclinder engine . none of the pistons in the turbocharger!

Hi chaps,

firstly thanks for the replies and advice. Got a couple of leads I'm getting quotes from.

Engine has done 143k but was bought with the car. It was a non-runner ( fuel pump and new tank needed) i checked compression which was good then did a temp fix and got it running for 30 secs and it seemed ok. I then started the strip down and now whilst shell is off being resprayed I'm working on the engine. I discovered the shells are worn so may aswell rebore ( will require new pistons and rings) and go to town on the engine whilst I'm at it. Got a fast road cam and vernier pulley on the way along with polished inlet manifold and bigger throttle body.

Got a new oil pump already as that was going to be fitted as a matter of course.

I'm building the engine back up myself but just need the machining work doing. Porting and gas flowing head should release a few more ponies and lightened and balanced flywheel should make things more responsive.

Oh btw I've looked at recon engines all ready built up with a few nice toys -they start at nearly 2k..... Gulp

it's the original engine and I have all receipts from 1983 and service book etc. Hence why I want to keep the original engine. Would be a lot cheaper to bung a g60/ mk2 16v on instead though, hmmm

I'm guessing you've been on some of the vw gti forums for good builders?

the block will not need facing, you may run into piston protrusion problems + the increase in CR.

A stage 3 head used to be in region of £500 iirc,
you're easily looking another grand for parts and labour for the rest.

I would find another lump or just stick in a kr, then spend the money on tyres brakes and shocks, the bits that really make you faster.

Back