e-Bay fee increase 10/07/12

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just realised eBay fee's have rose from a maximum of £40 (10% of listing) to £75!

Message from Ebay,
"As previously announced, from 10 July 2012, the maximum final value fee for both auction-style and fixed price format listings will increase from £40 to £75 for private sellers.

Pretty large increase that! If you sell something for £750 then the ebay and paypal fee's combined will be.... £100 ish? Shocking.

As if it wasnt enough already.
Thats why i dont sel on ebay as half the time its better for it to go on forums for whatever the end result is from ebay anyway.
For the millions of listings they have i.e money in their pockets, i guess that just wasnt enough.

money grabbers :evil:

you're better off advertising something way overpriced in the hope someone will want to deal with you outside ebay.

Kinda sad that I have to write that, but 10% fees on a £750 final value fee is just crippling.. then paypal take their cut.. :roll:

Yup, think Paypal fee's will be another 3.something %. So would be approx £100 total fee on something selling for £750.

Agree that no-one likes parting with the proceeds of their sales, myself included, but you have to put it into perspective;

Listing items on eBay gives you access to a Global market, for maybe 15% max of your gain; how much does an ad in a local newspaper cost these days, what is the extent of the circulation, and what are your chances of a sale?

eBay is also a business, not a charity; and a phenomenol number of people will still pay out their cash to use it...

...but how many will declare their net gains on their next Tax Return? ;)

Swings and roundabouts...

I see where you're coming from but that is still almost a 100% increase in what they can take from you - a huge increase for any business, in fact I can't think of any where else who could do that and survive. They have the monopoly at the moment but they won't be there for ever I am sure.

Well I'm sure if a corresponding proportion of the people who use eBay stopped overnight they might reduce the rates again...

...perhaps a facebook campaign to that effect would be equally Global, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

Back