Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:14 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Mercedes S*#$ service
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:02 pm 
Retro Guru

My Sister bought a new Mercedes in 2009.

Before her warranty expired we checked the car over to see if there was anything that may need replacing before it gets worse and she has to foot the bill herself.

The only things they replaced are the wheel nuts.

Below are pictures of the other parts they are refusing to replace:

O/S/R window trim

O/S/R wheel

All 4 wheel centre caps

Mercedes are claiming all of the above is due to the cleaning products used and refuse to cover the replacement parts.

As it happens I usually clean my sisters car when I do mine, as I've been occupying her garage with my toys for the last 10 years, and I use Autoglym (as approved by Mercedes).

Autoglym was also supllied with the valet kit in the car.

I've been using Autoglym for over 10 years, with it never causing any damage.

Can anyone offer any advice that's had a similar experience with Mercedes please?

We are getting no where fast, my next call is to Autoglym to try and ruffle their feathers.

Whilst I don't for a minute think it's their products, they may get annoyed enough to contact Mercedes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:11 pm 
Retro Guru

I think you may have a point with the window trim but i don't think you stand a chance with the wheels. As you pointed out you've gone looking and all you can find is minute wear and tear damage on the wheels, i'm not sure what your expectations are, do you expect it to be perfect after 3 years? I'm a member of www.mbclub.co.uk you could try there to see if anyone shares you're point of view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:12 pm 
Retro Guru

Didn't mercs used to have a 30 year anti-corrosion warranty or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:13 pm 
Retro Guru

I think you may have a point with the window trim but i don't think you stand a chance with the wheels. As you pointed out you've gone looking and all you can find is minute wear and tear damage on the wheels, i'm not sure what your expectations are, do you expect it to be perfect after 3 years? I'm a member of www.mbclub.co.uk you could try there to see if anyone shares you're point of view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:18 pm 
Retro Guru

slightly off topic but worth knowing if you lease a Mercedes.
Just before redundancy got me, I had taken over the 2 year lease on a1 year old Merc.

Imagine my surprise when I got a bill for a new tyre as there was a "damaged" sidewall. This "damage" was there when I picked it up and looked like a manufacturer/quality control issue which I didn't have the presence of mind to realise was not quite right. It even went in to Mercedes for a service with no comment from them about it.

When I asked them for an explanation, they dropped into "just pay up" mode and would not reply to any of my letters except with a call centre phone call. It was just like dealing with a tax office !
I will NOT be getting another Mercedes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:35 pm 
Retro Guru

I wish you the best of luck - screw them for all you can I say - but I do think it's pretty unreasonable to expect it to look factory fresh after she's been driving it around for three years.

This is why I think anyone that buys a new car is, frankly, batshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Really, wheel centres? :?

You put/get Fast Glass on the rubbers and leave it dry out (regularly) and what you get is what you see in your photo. It is essentially iso-propynol alcohol and not kind to rubber at all.

Autoglym has a reputation that exceeds the products abilities, whilst they are good mid-range products I don't think they are high end like most people feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:21 pm 
Retro Guru

JamesM wrote:
Didn't mercs used to have a 30 year anti-corrosion warranty or something?

I'm fairly sure that's if it rusts from the inside out, don't quote me though. And to be able to claim on any manufacturers warranty they usually insist on a main dealer service history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:48 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

I'm struggling to see the problem with the wheel myself. Cars get worn, especially the wheels unless the car is doing about 200 miles a year and living in a garage.

Or it might be that photos the size of Wales are tricky to see on my laptop screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:14 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

My sister had problems with her last merc, the wheels bubbled, soft top suffered bad wind noise and the horn would go off on its own at random times plus a few other things, not good on a £44,000+ car.

Mercedes didn't want to know, there customer service is shocking and the car was soon wrote off my a maniac taxi driver anyways, her dream car turned into a nightmare.