The 2CV go on tell me you've driven one

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My first car was a 2CV and I loved it it was my pride and joy and all others who had one flashed, maybe in sympathy, but I loved it. It was a real experience going around corners but I will always have a soft spot for it.

Alison

I have always wanted an Acadiane and yes, I liken the 2cv to the Land Rover of old in that it can be easily taken apart and put back together again and it's capabilities with what it was designed for are impressive as youtube demonstrates;

http://youtu.be/JU2j-Fppt0g

But I just love this video;

http://youtu.be/-s3e2aaT_88 Acadiane !

But I first woke up to how impressive these ugly little machines are when I used to do RTV off road trials with my Series One 86 Land Rover ( notice Land and Rover, because that is what they were in the 1950's and only became Landrover later on ), at Trentham Gardens in Staffordshire, as 2CV's were doing the trials too and doing very well with it. I at the time was into expeditions and stuff and had the idea to cross the Sahara and the 2CV was the vehicle of choice given it is particularly good in Africa and why the ill fated Africar was largely based on the 2CV and British Leyland Hydolastic suspension after it was found the old Maxi was one of the best for Africa's roads..

But I believe the engine choice for these things was based on someone copying a BMW motor cycle engine and I understand some do adapt those motors to fit.

A pal down here restores 2CV's and had a lovely 1950's 2cv van which he toured Europe in until it was destroyed by a police car in the snow when the driver supposedly skilled in arctic driving conditions lost it in the snow and ploughed into my pal's beloved van.

Lovely cars. Nearly bought one. It was bright red. Watch the 2CV 24 hour racing :cool:

My endearing memory of them? Seats like armchairs, handled a bit like an armchair, and the gear-stick in the middle of the dashboard.

Never owned one, but used to get a lift to college in one a few years back. Luckily I had a bottle of water in my bag and was able to put it out when it caught fire. Only the French would use paper to make the ducting around a hot air cooled engine. :shock:

The fire melted the plastic throttle cable outer, there was no metal under it, like a bicycle brake cable, so I had to jury-rig it to get us home. Never really considered owning one after that.

Beavis on here had one when we were younger. I had a go when learning to drive and nearly crashed it! He used to thrash the t*t's off it. :cool:

In the flats we lived in BITD some scum bag slashed every cars tires except the 2CV :LOL:

brocklanders023":35ppnqya said:
Beavis on here had one when we were younger. I had a go when learning to drive and nearly crashed it! He used to thrash the t*t's off it. :cool:
You have to!
I had one for a few years; went everywhere and beyond.
Whenever we go to France or Spain I usually get ideas about bringing a Mehari home. There's a madman around here who has one with a warm 1220 GS engine in it. It's like a kiddies plastic sandpit on wheels. :LOL:

Citro%C3%ABn_M%C3%A9hari_offen.jpg
[/url]

I wrote off a blue one with the front of my Chevette :D

They are the missing link between homemade gokarts and a proper car, not a big fan :D

Back