Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:36 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:10 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
I didn't watch her documentary yet, but the old trout mentioned she is doing a shampoo ad, and isn't such a looker.

Ouch!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:53 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:23 pm
Posts: 3613
Location: Cumbria
I really felt for her after watching the documentary. Not entirely convinced she wants to be in cycling any more and is just doing it to satisfy the team, who've obviously put a lot in to her. Hope after the Olympics she can step away from the sport and enjoy a normal life with her other half.

Was a good insight in to how much support etc goes in to an athlete. A lot of time and money just to try and get a medal at sporting events. Got me wondering if it is worth it. What gain can be had from getting a medal. Encouraging more people in to the support?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:54 am 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
EarlofBarnet wrote:
I really felt for her after watching the documentary. Not entirely convinced she wants to be in cycling any more and is just doing it to satisfy the team, who've obviously put a lot in to her. Hope after the Olympics she can step away from the sport and enjoy a normal life with her other half.

Was a good insight in to how much support etc goes in to an athlete. A lot of time and money just to try and get a medal at sporting events. Got me wondering if it is worth it. What gain can be had from getting a medal. Encouraging more people in to the support?

I couldn't get whether the audience were just seeing one side / perspective, just because of the programme maker's slant.

Some of the comments of the team hinted it, yet it didn't really manifest in the programme - and my suspicion is that that was due to the story they were trying to tell.

Nobody gets to that level, trains like that, and performs like that without being incredibly driven. It's not just pure ability that gets people there any more, they already all have that, it's natural ability, plus a helluva lot of hard work - and the programme showed little or no of the drive that I feel must be there, and the team hinted was.

One thing it did show, though, was how psychologically fragile people in that situation can be - whether that's purely a product of their history, expectation and pressure, or inherent, I'm unsure, but the hint of "It's all in your head..." type issues, and the influence / help from a psychological standpoint, seemed quite key at times.

To see her beat her rival, earlier this year (I haven't closely followed her career or performances) was a nice touch, and showed some psychological robustness - even if some of it was as much about rules as performance. But I liked the way she seemed to try and better her because she'd tried to intimidate Pendleton on track, was something that showed some guts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:42 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:05 pm
Posts: 5650
Location: Aberdeen
I watched the hour long program about Bradley Wiggins yesterday, thought it was quite good, it was interesting to see the differences between Pendleton & Wiggins.
It also showed that having the right trainer, team etc is almost as important as being on top of your game physically.

I enjoyed the program :) roll on Sunday and the finish in Paris, a British 1 + 2 and a stage win from Cavendish would be icing on the cake :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:54 am 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
jimo746 wrote:
I watched the hour long program about Bradley Wiggins yesterday, thought it was quite good, it was interesting to see the differences between Pendleton & Wiggins.

Was that on BBC, too? If so, can you remember the channel / time, I'll try and watch it on iplayer, later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:17 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:18 pm
Posts: 733
Location: The FoD.
Neil wrote:
jimo746 wrote:
I watched the hour long program about Bradley Wiggins yesterday, thought it was quite good, it was interesting to see the differences between Pendleton & Wiggins.

Was that on BBC, too? If so, can you remember the channel / time, I'll try and watch it on iplayer, later.


It was on ITV4, same as the Le Tour coverage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:13 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
jimo746 wrote:
roll on Sunday and the finish in Paris, a British 1 + 2 and a stage win from Cavendish would be icing on the cake :D


Given that Cav hasn't - as was predicted by some - pulled out of Le Tour early to prepare for the Olympics after all, I've a sneaky feeling that the Sky game plan is to give him a good shot at a third Paris victory....

David


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:58 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 am
Posts: 936
Location: Bristolcestershire
I think that she's nice, seems to be suffering from mild depression, and you lot are gits.

She's been training 6 days a week for 10 years, apparently. Give her a break! I hope she smashes it in London, retires on her massive Halfrauds advertising payout, and lives happily ever after. So there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: Odense, Denmark
djoptix wrote:
I think that she's nice, seems to be suffering from mild depression, and you lot are gits.

She's been training 6 days a week for 10 years, apparently. Give her a break! I hope she smashes it in London, retires on her massive Halfrauds advertising payout, and lives happily ever after. So there.


Wasn't going to say anything... but now I will.

And it is....

What he said. And yes - you lot ARE gits.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:26 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:04 pm
Posts: 3198
Location: Chorley, Lancs
djoptix wrote:
I think that she's nice, seems to be suffering from mild depression, and you lot are gits.

She's been training 6 days a week for 10 years, apparently. Give her a break! I hope she smashes it in London, retires on her massive Halfrauds advertising payout, and lives happily ever after. So there.


Agree.
Can't say I warmed to her particularly as a person, but have to admire her hard work and dedication.
And she's far nicer to look at than her Aussie rival? Her jenk is bigger than mine!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group