Never under-estimate your dad!

azaro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
For years we had a love/hate relationship - arguments,, trying to outdo each other, bullshit macho posturing.
In the last year he's been rushed into hospital 3 times with prostate problems and made me realise how pathetic I've been. Sorted all that now, but so impressed with how he copes.

He's 71, looks fitter than he did at 60, and has watched 2 invasive operations whilst under local anaesthetic! I'd have passed out at the thought! The best one - went to see him after the 1st op and he had a catheter in - "If you've come to take the piss..." - fabulous!

I've cursed him beyond belief, but I'm now ashamed of myself for that and I'm making the most of it whilst the old bugger's still here, spending my inheritance on cruises!

Love you dad!

I've watched (in some cases literally) several relatives die over the past few years.

One thing is constant - no matter how much you think you try, you never see them enough, and always regret not making more effort to see and be with them more. Kinda like Baz Luhrmanns ode de sunscreen.

You are right.

I have held back while closer family visited and missed the off.

I reckon assisted offing would work out well in practical terms.

Easy to schedule all the 'final' visits.

azaro":1ktgkqgg said:
For years we had a love/hate relationship - arguments,, trying to outdo each other, bullshit macho posturing.
In the last year he's been rushed into hospital 3 times with prostate problems and made me realise how pathetic I've been. Sorted all that now, but so impressed with how he copes.

He's 71, looks fitter than he did at 60, and has watched 2 invasive operations whilst under local anaesthetic! I'd have passed out at the thought! The best one - went to see him after the 1st op and he had a catheter in - "If you've come to take the piss..." - fabulous!

I've cursed him beyond belief, but I'm now ashamed of myself for that and I'm making the most of it whilst the old bugger's still here, spending my inheritance on cruises!

Love you dad!

Always make the effort, my old man died when I was 22 and he was 44 and we never got on!

I've spent the last 18 years regretting it :cry:

I never underestimate my father, he is glaswegian, even now he is old and small i still wouldn't want to unleah his rage. He'd probably chib me.

highlandsflyer":3ekaeulr said:
Good on you man!

Everyone should give respect to their family.

Unless they are ****s of course.

:)

Put me in that category. But will not turn this into a depressing thread!

My best friend is also my joke 'dad' although I'm a little old now for the joke to work as we both look alike.

I gave my whole life up at the time to care and nurse my dad through terminal cancer, even 3 years on I am still paying the price but I would not Have had it any other way :cry:

Back