Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:45 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dangerous Cycling
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:49 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Well I don't want to play into the hands of anti cyclists
and I hate to find bad eggs amongst the fraternity... but I had to report some dangerous cycling today.

I've been travelling down this particular country B road for over 7 months now and every morning I see this guy cycling in the opposite direction. He's on a retro looking hard tail and I always try to catch what it is but miss it each time. Until now I used to be pleased to see him. Being a fellow experienced cyclist and commuter.

Yesterday this guy swerved in front of me I almost went up the verge to avoid him, I thought weird he must have been avoiding a pot hole, lucky nothing happened (on way home I looked no pot holes near that area either how odd).
This morning same area he swerved in front of the car in front of me, I thought how strange, then he did it to me I couldn't believe it.

Tooted him and he flicked me the bird... AHole, he's going to give decent cyclists in the area a bad name in the least in the worst could cause someone to have a serious accident overcompensating.
Talking to colleagues he's a repeat offender, he's done it at least 4 times to one colleague and numerous times to other colleagues.

What can you do.....?

If he doesn't kill himself, he's going to kill some unsuspecting passer by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:12 am 
Retro Guru

I know what you mean, I'm sick of roadies riding in the middle of the road to avoid drains and the ruff edges of roads, riding two a breast and generally not giving a flying f**k whats going on around them, and guess who's fault it will be when they finally get knocked off! :roll:

Everytime I here this debate about cyclists on the road having to have insurance and pay some kind of tax I think its bloody stupid but every time I get stuck behind and then have to pass a cyclist on the road riding like an idiot I sometimes think maybe its not such a bad idea, it might make them more accountable for their actions and style of riding. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:22 am 
Old School Grand Master

cyclists are people.........some good some bad. I hate all the numbties who ride on busy pavements as fast as if they were on the road, what's that all about ? and they expect you to get out of their way......just selfish idiots some people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:54 am 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

I don't know whether it's the case in your example, but I have known cyclists swerve a little, when vehicles are too close and not giving them enough room. Not saying me, like - and I'm not saying that's necessarily what the guy you've encountered is doing - but it might be the case.

Many car drivers don't give cyclists enough room when passing - even cyclists when they're driving their cars.

As to the roadies not riding in the gutter - they're completely correct. I don't hold truck with the whole riding two (or more) abreast, nor do I support those that often do make things more difficult than they really need - after all, consideration is a two-way street - but all the same, asserting a reasonable amound of roadspace, in the necessary encouragement (because some drivers are so bad at giving cyclists sufficient room) for cars to: a) give sufficient room when they pass, and b) only pass where there is sufficient room is no bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:03 am 
Devout Dirtbag

I hear you Neil, I've been on the blunt end of bad driving myself, I know all about assertive cycling and commanding the road when necessary.

However, I am an experienced cyclist, I give all the room physically possible to cyclists treating them with the respect I would like in return when I'm on my bikes.

In this case it's a two way road and this cyclist intentionally swerves over the white line into oncoming traffic!?!? Why? To provoke a reaction / accident?

Needless to say the Police said they don't have resources enough to even look into it. They asked me what I expect, I said frankly nothing, but I would like you to have a word with him if possible, point out the error of his ways, before he causes or is involved in a serious RTA.

Just looking for a dashboard camera, you guys can then judge for yourselves when he does it next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:08 am 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

In light of this thread > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=209992 and the fact we've been through this debate quite a few times going to lock this.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]