Vinegar, Chip Shop vinegar

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
Why do chip shop chips taste so much better than chips made at home doused in chip shop style vinegar, just what is it with that vinegar they use in chip shops, why does it taste so good ?

Chopper1192":o7qb4l1s said:
And chips tasted better served in newspaper.

This is surprisingly true though i think it has something to do with the paper soaking up some of the grease :?

Don't chippys use non-brewed condiment. Tastes fine when they use it, but 'orrible when you use your own at home.

I heard its a mix of fresh malt vinegar and the old vinegar from the pickle jars. Just like I heard in Edinburgh they dilute their brown sauce with vinegar, confusing the east west argument over salt n sauce or salt n vinegar. Oh and in the chip shop I frequented as a student they threw in a few rashers of bacon with every batch of chips for frying.

And they always taste better outside, must be something to do with fresh air through the nose especially salty seaside air.

NBC is a winner, I never use malt vineger on chips.

We have a gallon drum of the stuff!! couldn't find it in a smaller container.I pierced a couple of holes in the cap, and shake the whole damn thing over my chips like a proper binner!!

al. :D

I'm not so sure it's the vinegar that makes all the difference, although it is true that chippy's use the non-brewed variation (which you can buy in supermarkets) and the essential ingredient in vinegar is acetic acid, perhaps it's because they probably buy it wholesale from Costco or something?

I think the big factor is the oil they cook the chips in, and the fact that the battered fish get cooked in the oil, it seems this heady mix of fried delights imparts a special flavour to the chips, whichthe humble deep-fat fryer at home can only aspire to.

(think I've been watching too much Man vs Food :LOL: )

Charlieboy28":3bhoe9xa said:
it is not vinegar at all used in chip shops, it is acetic acid

:facepalm:
Which of course is the same thing, Vinegar (or White Vinegar) is just a ~0.7mol/litre Ethanoic Acid (or as you call it Acetic Acid). Malt Vinegar (the good old chip shop stuff) is a 'rough' version of that, with a bit of added flavour.

Back