Worst nightmare....

I really hate riding on busy roads these days. A lot of drivers pass far too close. And considering how little I ride on the roads, it's only my awareness that has prevented the all to frequent near misses from being actual collisions. That and the general thoughtlessness and rudeness of some drivers.

A particular favourite is when a car passes me, often too close, then immediatedately pulls in and slows in front of me to turn left into a side street, forcing me to brake, rather than slowing and turning left behind me.

I think the problem is that not only are there so many more cars on the road now than when I first started riding, but also that there are so many drivers that have never ridden a bicycle and have no appreciation of how vulnerable you are and how disconcerting it is when something passes within a foot of your handlebars going a lot faster than you are.

xerxes":igx57qoj said:
I really hate riding on busy roads these days. A lot of drivers pass far too close. And considering how little I ride on the roads, it's only my awareness that has prevented the all to frequent near misses from being actual collisions. That and the general thoughtlessness and rudeness of some drivers.

A particular favourite is when a car passes me, often too close, then immediatedately pulls in and slows in front of me to turn left into a side street, forcing me to brake, rather than slowing and turning left behind me.

I think the problem is that not only are there so many more cars on the road now than when I first started riding, but also that there are so many drivers that have never ridden a bicycle and have no appreciation of how vulnerable you are and how disconcerting it is when something passes within a foot of your handlebars going a lot faster than you are.

Another one is were traffic is backed up and the cars are going nowhere fast. The driver sees you coming along on the inside and purposely pulls in towards the curb to cut you off. Wankers!

xerxes":3r33mcda said:

Sadly there are many motorists that believe cycles have no business being on the roads as the roads are for 'road tax' payers only.

Some of the comments on that site reminded me of how seriously dum people can be.

"Called a ******* sidewalk.... use it"
Posted 20 mins ago By
JiggaGigga101 (2.30) [West Des Moines, United States] :roll:

These videos make me wince every time, i have been there all too often.

I ride quite a bit on country road around 70 miles a week and whilst the majority of people slow down and are thoughtfull (these are greeted with a nod or a wave of thanks from me :D ) there are some who have such disrespect for cyclist its unbelievable :shock:

A few weeks ago i was out on a quiet single lane with my daughter who is 7, i was teaching her how to stay safe, avoid drains, positioning of bike, using the gears etc when this lady came shooting up the lane towards us, not even slowing down until a few metres then skidded on the gravel at this point i turned from a mild mannered chap into a shirt ripping green monster :x :x :x

She just looked at me and said what :shock:

I agree with much of what has been said here, however I also take the view that I am responsible for my own safety on the road, and make the assumption that nobody has seen me, and that everyone is going to hit me....
has kept me safe for 28 years... so far

In the very limited view of the video here, it would appear that the car came out from a roundabout entrance, which presumably would have had good visibility, both of the cyclist by the driver, and vise versa. In similar situations, I have noticed them in advance, and slowed to let dickheads just get on with it

G

made me cringe that did.

traffic islands, the little pedestrian islands in the middle of the road and so the carriageway narrows at that point. quite a few near me, and how many times have I been going through one only for some moron in a car to try and squeeze through next to me??? :roll: there blatently isn't enough room for a bike AND a car side by side, some people just don't look ahead, don't think ahead, or just don't care as they're in a big metal box with airbags etc and won't be hurt.
I now move further into the road in such areas, positioning on the road helps stop them trying to squeeze past.

A pedestrian traffic island yesterday....
4068780963.jpg

rant over :)

Chances are the driver was ONLY looking the way the traffic may have been coming - no hazard awareness.
I know its the norm to look wher ethe traffic is coming from but rarely do i see someone that looks both ways (many of the cycle paths i use cross garages etc.).
Blatant disregard in my eyes, like they dont know they are essentially cutting across a path.

I got told once by a police officer to ride on the road (i ride on cycle paths and pavement where none available). I said to him when the roads are safe - sure. He said fair enough.

Back