Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:55 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:37 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:
I would look at replacing the capacitors on the DM4 and leaving it at that.

As well as repairing a dust cap that was coming away from the woofer, I replaced some of the crossover components and the internal wiring in a pair of 80s Goodmans speakers:

Before:

After:

I was quite pleased with the results, there was a definate improvement in the overall clarity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:42 pm 
Old School Grand Master

JohnH Denon PMA-255UK amp, nice little amp them.

As for Mission speakers, owned a fair few and reviewed for my hi fi guy in a certain era 90's....yes some models but not all were a bit bright at the very top end.

Always like the Denon ltd,special edtion amps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:48 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Still got my system from the early 90's, although I just listen to MP3s via PC through it now as I don't have a CD player anymore. Tape decks only plugged in for when I rip tapes to MP3.
NVA (Nene Valley Audio) A60 power amp
NVA passive pre-amp
Yamaha KX-580 cassette deck.
TDL RTL 3 speakers.

Blew the amp up in the mid 90's through playing it too loud :oops:
Looked on Ebay a couple of years back & noticed the owner of NVA now sold his amps on there, contacted him and he rebuilt mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 pm 
Old School Grand Master

he's a good chap.......i like his ethos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 pm 
Retro Guru

Have any of you heard some of the newer amp technologies?

I've heard Class D, Class T and Gainclone amps and been very impressed with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:01 pm 
Retro Guru

xerxes wrote:
Have any of you heard some of the newer amp technologies?

I've heard Class D, Class T and Gainclone amps and been very impressed with them.

I heard the 47Labs Gaincard and was impressed by its direct and surprisingly fluid sound.
This might have had something to do with the (Progression) DAC feeding it though -I'm quite a fan of 'filterless' DACs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:47 pm 
Retro Guru

I tried a non oversampling DAC based on a Philips TDA1545A. While I thought it sounded very pleasent, I also thought it was a bit soft and wooly; nice midrange, but I felt it lacked a bit of sparkle at the top end and punch at the bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:45 pm 
Retro Guru

I'd agree with you there, there really is a trade-off, at least with the relatively 'modestly' priced one's I've heard.
But for me, coherence and natural musical-flow is everything -it's where CD sound has failed most. I'm just not that convinced by oversampling, -it seems to produce a kind of pseudo-detail at the expense of natural timing and solidity.
..dunno really, it's all compromises innit :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:26 am 
Retro Guru

I love the sound from my old Technics SUV 470 amp (it sits in my garage) and is connected to a Rotel RT 830AL tuner. Even with cheapo Pioneer speakers it is much better than all the modern stuff in the house that the kids use. I also plug in an ipod from time to time.

I have also got a Rotel RA1000 amp sitting in my loft which I stopped using 20 years ago. If anyone is interested I should move it on to an enthhusiast so let me know if anyone wants it. I recall it has a crackly volume knob but is generally ok looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:09 am 
Retro Guru

I have lots of DIY audio that I'll post up later but the TDA1543/1545 really sound nice.

I always want the highest quality and will readily admit the TDA's are low resolution, soft and hiding some details but you can really enjoy the music, they produce a foot taping mellow rounded sound that is just superb for relaxing. Also they make even harsh recordings sound ok...

I have a Sabre 32 based DAC that is supposedly the be all n end all of resolution and its rubbish, it went straight to the back of the shelf, dull flat and harsh. Sounds I'd never heard before? Yes, sounds I want to hear? No! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next